Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. Wish I had found this resource before jumping in on a diesel :p
I convinced myself to dump the '03 X gasser and replaced it with this low km 2005 Diesel X.

I love it so far but have caught soooo much flak in my first month of ownership its almost got me to the point of doubting my purchase.... so much hate towards the 6.0 out there but this X has the tq, space and is just great (i am happy so far...)

Anyhow. I have come across 2 things of concern.

1) theft light blinks with key on. Truck starts, theft light continues to blink. I tried the syncing steps used if the truck wont start believing that might help, it did not.
I do not know if the truck has a chip or not. How can I tell? To my knowledge it is factory.

2) I am not seeing the glow plug light at all when keying on. I am told it could just be the bulb but that seems so outlandish to me for an '05 vehicle to have 1 bulb fail. Perhaps i'm expecting the worst, any input?

The vehicle is a 2005, 101,xxx km on it.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cant edit my previous message, so I will post an update

UPDATE: Unplugged batteries, let the truck site for about 5 minutes. Even keyed on while unplugged as to release any residual power (if that even works).
Wife has other key, waiting for that tonight. Will wait to try that to see if it stop the Theft light from flashing.

When key on I hear what sounds like a small fan run for about 15 seconds. Radio, climate stuff is all off including the rear, could that be the glow plug?

Should I be checking all fuses or specific? I have the manual but didnt see anything for 'glow plug'

Also seen this under the hood, didn't notice it before. Thoughts? (on drivers side)

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
those wires are pass through the firewall wires for you to use for whatever
Didn't know that. Interesting. What do most guys use them for?

I don't have the theft deal on mine so IDK as far as fuses do you have a manual?

2005 User Guide

Page 199 shows the fuse box. I dont see anything specific to Glow Bulb /plug.

·
Administrator
33,266 Posts
I have the big boy manual for my 06 (3 books) I will see if I can find a specific fuse

it's a little hard to read the schematics
however if the GP light doesn't come on but it starts fine cold I think it's the bulb
the under hood noise could be you Vac pump I can't tell the GP's are on by sound

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have the big boy manual for my 06 (3 books) I will see if I can find a specific fuse

it's a little hard to read the schematics
however if the GP light doesn't come on but it starts fine cold I think it's the bulb
the under hood noise could be you Vac pump I can't tell the GP's are on by sound
Very interesting that you said bulb. A friend of mine said bulb last night as well and I kind of looked at him crazy thinking "how can an 05 have 1 burnt out bulb"... just never seen it happen before. But heck, you guys may be right. May need to remove the dash and replace that bulb.

Can you check your manual for the size / type of bulb I would need? Please and thanks Zmann :ford: Is this usually a standard bulb that can be bought say at a CanadianTire or does it have to come from Ford?

EDIT: Question. Would a 6.0 Powerstroke start if the glow plug has failed all together?

·
Administrator
33,266 Posts
it would start in warmer weather but I don't think it would want to cold

another test is hook up a voltgage gage / multi meter and check the battery voltage the first 1-2 minutes the voltage will be low because the GP's are on after that the voltage will jump by 1-2 volts when they kick off

·
Administrator
33,266 Posts
Apparently they are a twist lock bulb and socket ? all lights should illuminate at first when u cycle the key no mater if the indicated device is on or off
Pulling the dash/cluster is fairly easy.
- tilt steering wheel as low as it will go
- put shifter into L
- give the dash a tug (I started beside the headlight switch), and move your way along the top, then finish with the bottom. Takes a firm pull some times.
- unplug all the connections, no need to worry about mixing them up, they only fit in their original socket
- lift the dash out, carefully clearing the steering column (electronic climate control is attached to the dash you are pulling out)
- there are four screws (one at each corner) that will require a socket (not sure what size) to be un-screwed from the cluster itself
- carefully begin to lift it out, then pop the shift indicator needle assembly out of the bottom, then pull the two connectors at the top of the cluster off (they have a little rocker that pulls down as the plug comes out)
- flip the cluster over, and you will see all the little sockets that contain the bulbs
- to remove the socket/bulb, give a 1/4 turn counter clockwise, now using a precision screwdriver lift one side of the tiny little tabs that is kinda clipped into the cluster, turn a smidge more, then do the other
- replace with socket/bulb (all one piece) with part #5F9Z-13B765-BA

·
Registered
389 Posts
To test the bulbs in the cluster...with the key off press and hold the reset button while turning the key on. Do not release the button until test appears in the odometer section of the cluster. Then press and release the reset button until you get to the test for the bulbs. It will light up all the bulbs and sweep the gauges. If you are still missing the GP indicator(~ kinda looking symbol), then it is a bulb.

Your Ex would not start if the PATS was working. So you may have a performance program already in the PCM, or you have a truck PCM in your ex.

Can you read the PCM code or strategy?

I'm running a truck PCM in my Ex and thats what the theft light does(acts just like yours). It will start and run fine with a truck PCM because there in no code in that PCM trying to match up with PATS module.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I didnt get any new email updates on the thread, i just came back to say I was going to send it to the dealer in the AM on monday.... but.

To test the bulbs in the cluster...with the key off press and hold the reset button while turning the key on. Do not release the button until test appears in the odometer section of the cluster. Then press and release the reset button until you get to the test for the bulbs. It will light up all the bulbs and sweep the gauges. If you are still missing the GP indicator(~ kinda looking symbol), then it is a bulb.
Did this test. I believe the GP is between the 4x4 and the Low Range lights that come on? There was an empty spot, either way. No glow plug light but here is a picture just incase.

**thanks for this help, this is when forums are really amazing and helpful guys!

Your Ex would not start if the PATS was working. So you may have a performance program already in the PCM, or you have a truck PCM in your ex.

Can you read the PCM code or strategy?

I'm running a truck PCM in my Ex and thats what the theft light does(acts just like yours). It will start and run fine with a truck PCM because there in no code in that PCM trying to match up with PATS module.
I do not have a tuner or monitoring device as of yet. I will get an Edge Insight once I am done dealing with the current issues, likely in the next 2 weeks.

How could I determine if it is a truck PCM ?

Attachments

·
Registered
389 Posts
You are correct, that is the location of the glow plug light.

You won't really know for sure until you can read the code from the PCM. You can also check the tear tag on the pcm itself and see if it has a EX code on it. That won't tell you what the program in the PCM is though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You are correct, that is the location of the glow plug light.

You won't really know for sure until you can read the code from the PCM. You can also check the tear tag on the pcm itself and see if it has a EX code on it. That won't tell you what the program in the PCM is though.

Well, didn't know where the PCM was but some net searching says behind the ebrake on the truck. Of course it's dark here now so I tossed my cam down there to snap a few pictures. Got 1 visible tag real good but appears to be maybe just a harness tag?

Did a search on google for 5C7T14401-FC and no dice.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
An update on the dealership visit today (not good).

This is the email I just sent the dealer I bought the truck from:

Hi Duane / Mike

The truck is at the Erin Ford dealership
905-828-1600
Etta was the rep that called me, she is not the diesel tech.

Vehicle was dropped off to get the following work done:
glow plug light fixed (wasn't turning on)
cable added to the block heater for winter
flashing theft light fixed.

None of these items were able to be fixed. While I haven't picked up the paperwork or the truck yet they did call me to inform me that:

cluster has an issue and cannot cater to a glow plug light.
the chassis is a 2003 / 2004. The body is a 2005 Gas body.
the theft light cannot be fixed because the electronics are from different vehicles (pats & pcim)

They also said the truck shouldn't be at ford since its a Frankenstein and a mish mash of parts.
So, no work was done except inspection to the tune of $250

The dealer also took issue with the VIN
1FMNU43S45ED44953 (found a vin decoder here - says its a gas truck)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just cancelled Lubrico warranty. There is a window of time you can do that and get a refund. By fluke today was the last day.

Spoke to the dealer I bought the truck from. They are "planning" to refund me.... Almost seems to easy so far.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As i said in another thread:

Status is this.
Truck is back at the dealer i bought it from, they claim they are taking it back.
They still have my trade in which they say they will temp plate it and return it to me in the AM. I will need to cert and e-test it on my own.
I owe the bank. The dealer is supposed to pay the bank out.
They have some of my cash. Not sure what will happen there.

I will be out money but being out a couple k is better than owning that rig.

·
Registered
389 Posts
HOLY SH*T!! Now that I look at the cluster better it is a gas cluster, I noted the weird light showing the gas cap was off earlier...but never thought more of it.

What did carfax show on the vin?

Just a guess here but....

Thats a stolen diesel Excursion, with a vin number from a wrecked gasser. They used the gas cluster so the miles matched, and had to use a different pcm...a truck one because the vin for the stolen diesel was stored in the excursion PCM.

Again Holy SH*T!

Does the door vin match aswell?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
HOLY SH*T!! Now that I look at the cluster better it is a gas cluster, I noted the weird light showing the gas cap was off earlier...but never thought more of it.

What did carfax show on the vin?

Just a guess here but....

Thats a stolen diesel Excursion, with a vin number from a wrecked gasser. They used the gas cluster so the miles matched, and had to use a different pcm...a truck one because the vin for the stolen diesel was stored in the excursion PCM.

Again Holy SH*T!

Does the door vin match aswell?
I dropped the truck off at the dealer. They are a real dealer not a backyard type place with some teen selling civics and excursions. They carry a big inventory of vehicles ranging in pricing.

I don't know if the door vin matches since they have the truck.

I did look at the carfax and it came back clean under the vin I provided which was on the dash.

I will know more tomorrow but to be honest I am worried I am about to get screwed.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.