Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 6.0L Check Engine Light
I have a 2005 6.0L and had the engine pulled at 14,000 and had the bedplate resealed and the turbo replaced four days before the 3 year 36,000 warranty ran out. I brought the truck in due to the Check engine Light coming on. I now have 24,000 miles on the truck and the Check Engine Light came on today.The light will stay on not like last time with the turbo problem. I know that the Check Engine Light can come for many diffrent reasons. I bought the Extended warranty and hope it is covered again. Does anybody know if the 6.0l eat turbos ? The truck runs good and no change in performance.

I went out last night to see if the light came on when it was cold and it started up and the light came on. I turned the truck off and plugged in a scanner and the scanner was acting up so I unplugged it. I went to rstart the truck and I got a slow crank and a click. I took the batteries out and load tested them. They both showed good and dropped into a weak zone. I will buy two new batteries today. I don't know if the check engine light came on due to low battery voltage or oither issues. I will post later today after new batterioes installed.

·
I Just Break Stuff
2,201 Posts
Yes , low- bad batteries will make it act all kinds of stupid. I would definately start with batts , check grounds, get a scan tool that works. Heavy on the scan tool that works!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Replace the two batteries today and had the old stock batteries checked. The said one was shot and the other marginal. I figured after almost five years and the truck sits 5 days per week, it's about time. After I installed the batteries and started the truck, everthing was fine and I had no check engine light on. I let the truck idle for about 12-15 minutes while I put my tolls away and cleaned up, then I heard a change in idle for 5-10 seconds and then I checked the dash and the check engine light came back on.When you disconnect the battery, does it clear all codes or does require a scan tool to clear codes?

·
The Unseen Mod
4,126 Posts
It resets the memory temporary, try find out what codes are being thrown now.

·
PETE ENGR PSD
973 Posts
Replace the two batteries today and had the old stock batteries checked. The said one was shot and the other marginal. I figured after almost five years and the truck sits 5 days per week, it's about time. After I installed the batteries and started the truck, everthing was fine and I had no check engine light on. I let the truck idle for about 12-15 minutes while I put my tolls away and cleaned up, then I heard a change in idle for 5-10 seconds and then I checked the dash and the check engine light came back on.When you disconnect the battery, does it clear all codes or does require a scan tool to clear codes?
What type of batteries are you using? Sitting five days a week, it might be a good idea to put a battery tender on it. It will extend the life of your battery significantly.

·
Hate 'R Us
2,436 Posts
My ALT went bad and sucked the life out of my bats. Went through two sets in a week before we figured it out, might want to check it out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I called the local Ford dealer to see if it is a bad EGR, would it be covered under the 5 year/100,000 warranty or my Ford ESP plan. He could not give me an answere. I would be willing to pull the EGR out myself and see if it needs to be cleaned but don't want to void any warranty.

·
PETE ENGR PSD
973 Posts
EGR? You need to make sure your voltage is right first. If your voltage isnt correct your truck will act like its on crack. If it is a bad EGR it will be covered.

·
Hate 'R Us
2,436 Posts
EGR? You need to make sure your voltage is right first. If your voltage isnt correct your truck will act like its on crack. If it is a bad EGR it will be covered.
+1.

If you really want to pull the valve and check it then go for it, it's really simple. Just park the nose of the truck down hill alittle and pull that valve out. Only two bolts that hold it in there, once it gives an 1/8th of an inch it pops right out. If it's wet then you got a leaky cooler.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I got my truck back from the dealer and they said the number 6 glow plug was bad and the FICM was also. Lucky it was covered or it would have been expensive. I need to get a scan tool for the future. Thanks for everybodys help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts