Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
CAT lover
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 6.0 dually no hot start

Did normal things, stand pipes and dummys, had it running good for a few weeks and then it died on the road and wouldn’t start again. Gave shot of ether and it fired up and we pulled into shop. ICP 300ish while cranking obviously HPO leak.

Pulling apart to do air test right now and new STC fitting. Truck has new injectors, oil cooler, correct oil filter and new standpipe/dummys.

Any advice? Truck has 105k miles and has ran well even with the HPO leak. How do I diagnose a bad HPOP? We are setting up to do air test now getting valve covers off and fitting installed etc.

·
CAT lover
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
When started with a shot of ether it runs mint. As soon as we shut it off it will not start again.

·
CAT lover
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Plugged in shop air to ICP fitting, have air coming out both pass and drivers valve covers at oil fill and CCV ports. That is with IPR disconnected (so that means IPR open?). This doesn’t make sense to me.

·
CAT lover
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On another positive note, we found some small (<1mm) chunks of aluminum in the oil filter....

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,070 Posts
Plugged in shop air to ICP fitting, have air coming out both pass and drivers valve covers at oil fill and CCV ports. That is with IPR disconnected (so that means IPR open?). This doesn’t make sense to me.
The IPR actuator defaults to being open with no power applied. A spring will hold it closed, but it won't be air tight. You have to command the IPR valve to the closed position to do an air test.

IMO the best way to do an air test is to buy and install the test fitting that goes into the IPT valve opening (must remove the IPR).

·
CAT lover
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah getting a pigtail today to close the IPR and run another air test

What do you guys think about the aluminum? LPOP front cover? HPOP going? Could the no hot start and aluminum in the filter show a bad HPOP?

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
Aluminum could be from be the front cover or a piston. There would have to be something wrong with the LPOP or it sucked up something and damaged it for it to be from the front cover. There are no other wearable items that are aluminum in that engine other than those 2 things.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,070 Posts
Might be worth pulling the LPOP regulator and seeing if there are any particles there.

·
CAT lover
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Front cover is junk. Found a small chunk of ferrous metal on the oil drain. Going to replace front cover, oil pump, etc. and reassemble. Hope this solves the issues.

·
CAT lover
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Found another pretty decent size chunk of ferrous metal embedded in the LPOP gears.... wondering if this engine is just junk at this point. Tests? Suggestions?

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
Where on the cape are you? I have a friend that’s originally from Yarmouth that I work with. I work in providence RI

Are there any imprints of needle bearings in the pump gears?

IMO it would be foolish to replace the pump and front cover without finding the source of metal. It’s likey going to keep dumping trash and will happen again, likey sooner than later.

Got any pictures of the debris?

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,070 Posts
Needle bearings or injector clips ....

·
CAT lover
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok just got the top of the engine apart because we already own the parts, figured what the H just install what we have. STC fitting was updated but the o-ring was junk, so I’d say that was loss of HPO. New fitting installed, everything cleaned and the HPOP seemed fine, spun fine, and the gears looked good. The truck had brand new injectors before we got it the PO was doing the same diagnostics we are but was under the impression it was injectors.

Didn’t see any impressions in the gears they actually looked mint. And the engine runs mint when it does run and works hard, without issue. Just a no hot start that’s been a bear to troubleshot.

I am in Yarmouth also.

·
CAT lover
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Do you know Paul Haberski?
Name sounds familiar but I don’t think so.

Got the oil cooler out and big surprise, dorman. The gasket was definitely what we were finding in the IPR last week. Not planning to return parts so we are moving forward and will install the oil cooler. Going to install a new front cover when it arrives and report back.

·
CAT lover
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
GREAT news! Turbo is fukt!!! Chunks of steel falling out of it :) rebuilding it with everything else and seeing what happens LOL

·
CAT lover
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got it running fired up fine. Went for a ride to clear the air out of the system, went back to 17% on IPR and 600psi icp. Running fine. Started to run like like #### and started popping in the exhaust. Got a cylinder 3 misfire and cylinder 3 contribution code. Injector buzz test is good. What’s the chances of a bad brand new alliant injector but not the electrical side?

·
CAT lover
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Injector 3 was airbound. Cleaned up after driving for about 20 minutes. Codes still there any ideas? Keep driving? Feels fine the power is there

·
CAT lover
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 27 Posts