Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Looking for some help. I have a 2005 (built in 10-2004) I a have owned since 2007 been serviced regularly Has 148K miles. The oil psi gauge drops to 0 at idle and it takes at least 30 seconds of cranking before it starts. After it starts is runs good. I replace the oil gauge sending unit which made no difference. Put a mechanical gauge on it which reads 7lbs at idle and 32 at cruise speed. Oil was changed 1000K ago. Has motorcraft filter and stock housing. Checked plunger at base of oil filter housing - works fine. Oil filter housing fills up withing 4 seconds while cranking and holds full with check valve pushed down with 3/8 extension. I conclude it oil pump is pumping good volume. Checked the regulator behind harmonic balancer and the spring and plunger both look normal. Put magnet up inside and found no metal debris. I found a number of threads that indicate similar symptoms with 03 and 04 HPOP where the low pressure check valve ball comes out causing a low engine oil PSI and hard start. According to ford and my VIN my vehicle has the new style pump. Any Ideas?
Thanks,
Brian

·
Administrator
8,349 Posts
welcome to PSN.

i am going to move this to the 6.0 tech forum, it will get more traffic there.

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
You have a different high pressure pump than the swash plate style pump. You either have a low pressure pump issue or worn bearings bringing down oil pressure. 7 lbs at idle and 30 psi at speed is too low. What weight oil do you use?

Is the oil that fills the oil filter housing aerated at all?

Also, just curious, what is your IPR duty cycle at a hot idle?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts