Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy has a 2004 f350 he has gone through a tranny, turbo, injectors. his truck is throwing these codes P0046, P0261, P0403. He has lots of black smoke when he starts the truck it runs rough for a minute then it drives just fine. would this be the FICM going bad? i don't know a whole lot about the 6 liters. any help would be great. thanks

·
Longrod von Hugendong
108 Posts
Is your buddy beating his truck like a rental or what?

·
Registered
357 Posts
#1 cause of injector failure dirty fuel filters. they cause fuel pressure drop which destroys injectors. plugged filters also cause the fuel pump to work to hard and burnout, which also causes injectors go bad. plugged filters can be caused by fuel gelling, but more commonly from excess dirt, just not changing the filters often enough. because the fuel pressure is so critical, nearly everyone recommends installing a fuel pressure gauge in such a way as to read the pressure going into the heads. it needs to be in cab so you can see the pressure under the greatest fuel demand. I.E. full throttle. more details, does he have any power adders or other additions that could be part of the problem

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
he had an edge tuner i had him take that off months ago. i know he changed both fuel filters. i saw a thread on here on how to fix the ficm. can you get a ficm anywhere besides a ford dealer?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is your buddy beating his truck like a rental or what?
not really. it was at the ford dealer for two months they weren't even sure what was wrong with it. They rewired the ficm. they didn't even tighten the bolts to it. after his experience with them i would never take it to sexton ford.

·
Registered
772 Posts
My buddy has a 2004 f350 he has gone through a tranny, turbo, injectors. his truck is throwing these codes P0046, P0261, P0403. He has lots of black smoke when he starts the truck it runs rough for a minute then it drives just fine. would this be the FICM going bad? i don't know a whole lot about the 6 liters. any help would be great. thanks

0046 is a turbo code for stuck viens. 0403 is an egr code and 0261 is a low injector circut code in cylinder 1 most likely caused by the ficm or might not hurt to make sure the plugs are seated nice in the top of the injectors.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts