Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well as the title says I’m experiencing no boost at idle.

This started weeks ago so I figured my turbo was **** even tho it would sometime whistle at higher RPM’s. My buddy had a clean 03 turbo laying around so I slapped it in and noticed my boots were torn. Replaced all intercooler boots after installing the 03 turbo.
Same thing, after 1k rpms I can really hear the 03 whistle but I have so much turbo lag. Like nothing at idle; and takes forever to build boost. My SCT says the EBP sensor is bad. So I took it off and found it full of sut. I cleaned and reinstalled with no luck.

should I try buying a OEM EBP sensor or should I do something else?

·
Registered
111 Posts
You're not really supposed to have much boost at idle. Engine needs to be under load to build boost. My sct reads like .5psi at idle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're not really supposed to have much boost at idle. Engine needs to be under load to build boost. My sct reads like .5psi at idle.
Something clearly isn’t right though. I use to be able to hear the small whistle at idle. Now it legit sounds like a Cummins until I get rpms pretty high. Whole truck feels like a slug until holding the pedal down and eventually feeling/hearing the turbo kick in

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My thought would be boost leak, stuck vgt, plugged ebp tube or an actual bad sensor.
I wouldn’t think stuck VGT if i had same problem on my 2004 turbo and this freshly cleaned 03 turbo.

where else can I look for boost leak? I inspected all intercooler pipes and boots and ran my hand around the intake while running and didn’t feel or hear any hissing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wouldn't think vgt then. No exhaust leaks or plugged cat by chance?
Straight pipe turbo back. Tomorrow I will have girlfriend rev up truck while I’m under hood and see it any sut comes around the intake.

also; I wanna check my map hoses, while reinstalling the turbo I could have SWORE I saw a tear on a hose that plugs into manifold. After doing some research tonight I learned that’s a map hose and curious if that can impact my turbo.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,223 Posts
Uhmmm - yes it could. That is what measures boost.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just got through a similar issue on my truck took me a while to figure out but ended up being the ebp sensor clogged, cleaned the metal hose, fitting on the manifold and replaced with a motorcraft oem sensor and now no boost issues. Key on engine off you should have .5 difference in barometric, ebp and map sensor readings if not the VGT turbo will not spool properly. Check your map sensor and the hose going to it that comes off of the passenger side valve cover.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts