Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I have a 2004 350, and for me to be able to use my driving lights, I have to have the headlights on so the switch will pull out, and then the headlights have to be on dim. I see supordutys every now and then with the driving lights on WITHOUT the headlights being on. My question is, is there a modification to be able to do this, or did certain models have the ability to turn the switch on without the headlights being on, or did they more than likely not have the driving lights to begin with, and installed them with a seperate switch? Ive seen a couple of people whos truck description said fog light mod, so I was wondering what that was....anybody know what it is and what it does and how to do it??

·
Haters Gonna Hate
5,869 Posts
you should be able to pull the headlight switch out with just ur park lights on, mine will anyways, i have a britebox on mine now so the foggers will stay on with my brights

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine wont (wouldnt) pull out unless the headlights were on, but I just now got done tearing into my switch, and there was a plastic "ramp" in there that forced the driving lights to the off position when you turned the switch from headlights to park lights, so after figuring out how to remove the knob (turn it to headlight, pull it out, and insert a small screwdriver into the slot on the bottom of the knob and push in the retainer), I filed the ramp on back a little bit more, so now it will pull out in park position, but will not pull out with parking lights off, and tried to shape it the way it was. I didnt even have to jump any wires leading to the switch or anything, because I was thinking that they may be powered by a relay when the headlights are on, but nope, I made the switch pull out, and they work!

·
Scab
1,296 Posts
When my truck was new, I could use the parking and fog lights. My headlight switch went bad and after the dealer replaced it I had to have my headlights on to turn on my parking lights. Thanks for posting this, I plan on trying it. What did you use to fill it?

·
Scab
1,296 Posts
Yeah that makes more sense. I would have figured it out when I pulled it apart.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, once I got the knob off, I forgot to say I had to get the face plate loose from the main body of the switch, which I did by slightly grinding/filing down the plastic tabs until the fit through the holes, then you have to squeeze one small retainer together inside where the knob went, and it comes apart pretty easy. Once inside, you can see what needs filed down by examining how it all works, there is a small round piece extending from the main shaft, and thats what rides on the 'ramp" in there. I used a small square file and my dremel with a straight small grinding stone tip on it and simply made the flat section extend out further before ramping up. Im not the best at explaining stuff, but I figured it out pretty easily, so you shouldnt have a problem. I think the hardest part was figuring out how the d*mn knob came off...LOL

·
Registered
400 Posts
Thats what I had to do on my 03 F-250. Their should be a mod write up on it somewhere. Cant remember what forum I got it from lol

·
Registered
381 Posts
On my 04 I can turn the fogs on with just the running lights, strange how some do and some dont...

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
Cant on mine... I drive with my headlights on all the time anyway. I do hate how the fogs turn off with the high beams...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Mine's an '02 and I can't run the fogs without it turned to the headlights on position. Obviously there are two different switches. Which trucks received which is what I'm curious of... I've noticed by seeing other trucks running around with the parking lights and fogs on have also had clearance lights. I've never seen anyone run the fogs without headlights that didn't have clearance lights...

·
Scab
1,296 Posts
My fog lights used to work without my headlights and I don't have cab lights

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah, it is weird how some do and some dont, he's using an 02 switch that does, your 04 does, but my 04 didnt. I dunno, guess there was SOMETHING different that decided whether they do or dont, but either way, mine does now...LOL

1 - 16 of 16 Posts