Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello good morning all new to the forum I researched before posting but did not find a answer. I have a 2004 6.0 crew cab short bed 198k 4x4 6 in lift 35x12.50 on 20 " rims. When stopped or driving under 5mph steering is almost fully gone I'm aware we have hydroassist according to past owner steering box and pump have been replaced in past 3 months what else could it be and do we have an option to upgrade besides ram assist, what a bout changing the pulley size could that work. Thanks is for your time

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
The bigger the tire, the more difficult low speed, and especially stopped, steering becomes. I don't think anyone has discovered a single cure-all for our trucks. One guy just replaced the pump and was all set. Another had to adjust his steering box. For me, I purged as much fluid out of the system as I possibly could and then filled it with fresh. I then ran it until it clouded. Drain, refill, run, repeat, until it was pretty much clean fluid. I then added in some Archoil for good measure, and made sure to do the left-right-left air purge. Add in a good front end lube and I have been good to go ever since....and I have 260k on what I believe is the original pump. Oh, and I'm running 35's as well. Does it work as well as a gasser? No, because of the assist, but I can turn the wheel at a full stop now (with a little effort) whereas before I had to release the brake pedal to even get a minimum of movement. I would start with the easiest and cheapest remedy and move on from there in your quest for smooth low speed steering.

Reactions: 6.0250socal
1 - 2 of 2 Posts