Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 Excursion 6.0, 29Xk miles. Early 04 build.

Have a love/hate with this thing. When it’s running, I absolutely LOVE it. I hate that it’s been breaking down on me about every three months.

Driving down the road at 55mph, my 04 Excursion suddenly lost power. When it hit about 40mph it died and would not restart (cranks, but won’t start). Had it towed and running thru common problems. Wouldn’t restart when cold.

Batteries are good (12.5v)
FICM is good (FMP is 47.5, FLP AND FVP are 12.5 at KOEO & go down to 10.5 when cranking)
ICV is .1v at KOEO and .9v during cranking
ICP is 0 at KOEO and 660 during cranking (ICP replaced with a Motorcraft a year ago due to a no start and 300psi during crank, HPOP replaced in August with Motorcraft)
IPR is 0 at KOEO and jumps to 85% after cranking for about 5 seconds (had a new Motorcraft IPR in August and I replaced it with another Motorcraft two days ago, no change).
FPW on scan gaugue ii shows 8900 during cranking (so 8.9 milliseconds). I haven’t been able to find what it should be during crank, only when it’s running.
Fuel pressure is 55psi
Balloon test on fuel tested ok

EGR was checked & cleaned, EBP checked & cleaned. Tried unplugging IPR and ICP, still no start. Pressure tested with shop air and found no leaks...

I’ve exhausted google searches and ran everything I can think of. Anyone have an idea...?

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,070 Posts
When cranking FPW should be 500 μ seconds or greater, up to 2 milliseconds.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Typo - I tried starting it with ICP unplugged, wiggled the connector for the IPR while cranking. It has SYNC. Using a scangauge ii, it shows the FWP as 8900 when cranking.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,070 Posts
Cranking rpms?

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,070 Posts
The IPR command at 85% sure points to a weak high pressure oil system, but no start when cold and the ICP value is good should be good enough.

Do you have a known good FICM to try? Will your injectors buzz w/ the key on?

I would download ForScan Lite (to a smartphone) to read codes. The scangauge is very poor at reading codes.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RPMs wouldn’t read on tach, on the scan gauge it said 140. No extra FICM, manually checked pulling the cover and it was good. Injectors cycle. I know someone with a different scanner, guess I’ll try that.

Didn’t mention it earlier, but the J-pipe was replaced when the HPOP was

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,070 Posts
140 rpm is inadequate. You need at least 150. Over 160 is normal.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can someone recommend a good OBD reader? Don’t wanna spend $20 on one that doesn’t work but don’t wanna spend $99 on the OBD Link MX+

I have an iPhone & see not all of them support iOS. If needed, I’ll pick up a cheap android tablet and mount it to my windshield

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,070 Posts
I use the ForScan Lite app on my i phone, along w/ an ELM327 OBDII adapter (WiFi version for iOS, and Bluetooth version for Android). I use the BAFX brand adapter, found that some other brands are clones that don't work well.

Torque Pro is a nice app, but I don't think it reads codes as thoroughly as the ForScan Lite app.

You need to be identifying why the cranking rpm is too low to start.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts