Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 6.0 this past April and since then the weather has been pretty warm. However, the last two mornings have been below freezing when I've gone to start my truck. It fires right up with one cycle of the glow plugs. However, when I started it up yesterday I went back inside and came out again two minutes later and was surprised to find it idling high (@ about 1000 rpm). I started it this morning and after running for about 10 sec it went into high idle. It goes back to normal idle when you hit the brake. Was this a factory option or something the previous owner did? Either way I like it and the truck de-ices fast!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I believe its part of the latest flash from Ford.

·
Registered
41 Posts
That's programmed into the computer. You really should idle the RPM's up higher than that though to blow out the carbon.

I believe there is a fairly easy mod to get the 03's and 04's to elevated idle. I read it on another PSD site awhile ago. IIRC, you need to dig a couple of wires out of the harness. Maybe someone else will chime in with the info.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Yes you are correct Down East Diesel. These Superduty trucks all have the same wiring harnesses as the work trucks and ambulances. These all have high idle switches for other accessories dump body's ect. There is a power wire under the dash that is taped up from factory. Then there is another wire that runs to the PCM and when 12 volts is applied to this wire it bumps the idle up to 1250rpm or so. It also creates a couple lbs of boost if im not mistaken. On a stock turbo that is..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.