Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am new to the form I just bought a 2003 F250 (auction) with 265xxx It has the 7.3L in it but per vin the truck should have the 6.0. when I bought the truck it was missing the battery's a few fuses and the glow plug relay I put the fuses back in and got 2 battery's for it, and new fuel filter. After plugging it in for a few hours it did start after cranking for a long time it blows a lot of white smoke before starting but it was missing really bad (see picture for codes) one of the codes it did have was the P1316 (Did injector buzz test see picture) so what I found on it was I pulled the valve covers and did the 50 cent trick. I then also at that time put in the glow plug relay. Now the truck will not start at all. but when you unhook the glow plug relay the truck tries to start and also still blows a lot of white smoke but today it did no start for me, could be to cold out to start without glow plugs. I then found after removing the valve covers again that the injectors where below spec so I installed the shim kit trying to save on putting all new injectors in the truck. But still having problems was wounding why it sounds different and will not start with glow plug relay out of the picture? Any help would be great. Thanks

Attachments

·
Trust me, I got this...
1,356 Posts
Have you inspected the wiring harness? The plugs at the valve cover harnesses? I can tell thats not a Motorcraft relay, that only matters to me because any other aftermarket brand of relay has never been up to snuff in my experience. Seeing as it was an auction truck, that thing is one big mystery, and any number of things could be going on with it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have done a visual inspection of the wiring harness and did not see any cuts or scraps. I did look at the plugs at the valve cover harnesses nothing looked burnt. and I did the quarter trick as the pass side was not clipped in all the way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have seen several aftermarket glow plug relays that will have one of the small terminals also internally connected to the bracket for a ground, this is for use as a starter relay in some applications and will not work correctly in your truck as a glow plug relay because it is ground side switched. With the glow plug relay disconnected and the block heater plugged in, it should start and run fine. You probably have a fuel issue or low compression on 1 or more cylinders.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts