Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
the new guy
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im new here
i have a 2003 7.3, the last year for the 7.3, some of my friends that are powerstroke freaks told me these last years have powdered rods not forged. they said i need to replace them.:confused: i have already cracked the 8th injector and bent a rod after putting an evolution on it but have had the factory fix this. does anyone know if i have to replace the rods. and if i how difficult and expensive it will be/ where to get them?
thanks guys

·
<-- it's like that
6,567 Posts
People don't replace PMR's just to replace them.

What are your power goals? If you're keeping stock injectors, or plan to run very mild injectors, PMR's will be fine.

If you're planning to crank out well over 400 hp, then yes you would do yourself a favor by replacing the PMR's for a good set of forged.

·
The Fireman
4,810 Posts
First off Welcome to the Nation.

Yes you deff have PMR's being an 03. PMR's arent the strongest and people do blow brake them. But It has been proven that with proper tuning and mods they can hold 400hp with no issues.

Actually PMR's are safer with Hybrids and a turbo and good tuner then what they are stock and just a chip.

So what are you goals for the truck?

·
A Ghost these days...
2,434 Posts
im new here
i have a 2003 7.3, the last year for the 7.3, some of my friends that are powerstroke freaks told me these last years have powdered rods not forged. they said i need to replace them.:confused: i have already cracked the 8th injector and bent a rod after putting an evolution on it but have had the factory fix this. does anyone know if i have to replace the rods. and if i how difficult and expensive it will be/ where to get them?
thanks guys
:welcome: to the sucky world of PMR's. To replace them, the engine has to be pulled and you will have to remove the oil pan. There are companies on this site that can do it for you. Probably run you around $2500 for a rod swap.

·
the new guy
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks everyone.
i want to replace them because i have already bent one when i had an evolution on for just a weekend.
im wanting to end of building the truck well over 400 horse later on down the road. but being 16 i have to be realistic, for now i prolly will just get a dp or a cts. will these pmr's hold just these little horsepower gains? im just a little worried because i dont want to put the money to keep fixing the rods if im breaking them. i got told i need to replace pmr's before i do anything
but if they would handle these i dont want to spend the money right now

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
The rods should be fine with an evolution or a mild chip. Are you sure you bent a pmr? I thought they just crack and break.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
:welcome: to the sucky world of PMR's. To replace them, the engine has to be pulled and you will have to remove the oil pan. There are companies on this site that can do it for you. Probably run you around $2500 for a rod swap.
You also have to pull the heads to change the rods out. The pistons will not come out the bottom, they have to go out the top of the cylinder to disconnect the wrist pin. ;)

·
Registered
198 Posts
A good custom tuner can tune for them, I personally wouldnt go with dp tuner with pmr's though.

·
<-- it's like that
6,567 Posts
The rods should be fine with an evolution or a mild chip. Are you sure you bent a pmr? I thought they just crack and break.
Yep, PMR's typically shatter rather than bend.

Unless the shop is bending this guy over.

·
Need a ride.
553 Posts
I have a 03 with PMR's and like mentioned above, stay within reason on the HP's and you'll be fine. Go with one of our custom tuners here, no off the shelf stuff and get your truck dialed in perfect. I've had my DP in for 2 years with my mods, alot of them and no problems here, good luck.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Did they have to pull the motor when you had the 1 rod changed out? This would have been the time to do them all. I wouldn't waste my money now, just don't abuse the motor again and you'll never have a problem.

·
the new guy
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah the shop was prolly bendin me over but i cracked an injector wich filled the cylinder up with fuel which the pressure bent the rod. i dint know about the pmr's at the time so i didnt think about replacing them all i would of if i had known. but anything would be fine as long as i kept my foot out of it thats the problem lol

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
yeah the shop was prolly bendin me over but i cracked an injector wich filled the cylinder up with fuel which the pressure bent the rod. i dint know about the pmr's at the time so i didnt think about replacing them all i would of if i had known. but anything would be fine as long as i kept my foot out of it thats the problem lol
I was going to say that it would take more than an Evolution tuner to hammer even a PMR. If they replaced even one rod, the entire motor came out. I don't see how you could even get around lifting the motor out to remove the pan and inspect the damage on the bottom end.

What did they charge you at the dealer for that one?

Also, you will need a magic chip to get over 400 hp without better Injectors and Turbo so you should be good to go. You should start looking around for a good block and heads. Then get your hands on a set of decent forged rods. Then your off and running and can build it as you go.

·
The Fireman
4,810 Posts
You do realize that a PMR motor with 300hp and just a tuner is more likely to throw a rod then a PMR motor with hybrids and a turbo and good tuning at 400hp

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
You do realize that a PMR motor with 300hp and just a tuner is more likely to throw a rod then a PMR motor with hybrids and a turbo and good tuning at 400hp
The key is tuning. There is no way that just an Edge Evo alone would deliver enough to bend or break a rod, even a PMR. Like the OP said.. He hydro locked it while running and is lucky that the rod only bent and did not destroy the bottom end.

There are a "few" on this board that have spent a ton of money putting and pulling parts and blowing motors.. I love reading this board for that reason alone. However the general consensus is that you don't replace PMR's for the hell of it and you can get 400 HP out of them.

I once had an Edge Evo on mine.. dyno'd around 320 when the moons lined up.. Got a DP that goes to 140 and an aftermarket turbo on now with stock injectors.. I don't know what it is putting out, but it runs very strong. It is a DD so I am not out racing anyone. But I do have over 200k and it is running great. Knock on wood.

You do realize that anything with good aftermarket parts and good tuning is going to run better than the hill billy build

1 - 15 of 15 Posts