Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, on my 2003 7.3, I was getting a wrong readong from my fuel gauge and managed to stall it out of fuel. Fuel pump is working, added 911 diesel additive and cleaned the fuel bowl and replaced the fuel filter. Now when trying to start, fuel bowl isn't filling. I can feel and hear the pump working (replaced it 3 years ago) but nothing getting into the bowl. HELP!!

·
Project Shamu
2,797 Posts
Just cause the pump is on and vibrating doesnt mean it's flowing fuel. Pull a line apart and see if fuel is moving.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey, Mark: You may have to pull the float/pump assembly and check the nylon filter sock ( I believe your pump is in-tank on this truck ), may be clogged. One thing you and a helper could try: Take off the filler cap, disconnect the fuel line at the filter housing, and use some dialed down compressed air ( maybe 25 psi or so ), and see if you hear it bubble up in the tank. That might clear the sock enough to start pulling fuel up and get you going. I see the post is 16 days old, so you probably have it figured out by now. Back in the Nixon days, a lot of stations were running there tanks dry due to fuel shortages, and tons of people would come into the shop with fuel related issues. Those nylon socks in the tank would always clog, so we would just blow them off the float assembly, put an in line filter at the tank, and off they'd go. Not quite the same for you, but just for reference. Happy Holiday!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts