Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading threads for the past week or so. I'm going back a fourth on what could be the problem and not sure what it would be since some threads are saying it this and others say its that.

My truck is showing the low voltage codes for injectors 1 through 7. If the truck is not plugged in over night it is a pain in the ass to start it take like a half hour to get it to start and stay running. it idles really rough and blows white smoke with puffs of black smoke till the engine temperature get to about 120 degrees and then it idles better. once the truck gets to about 150 degrees it runs good enough to drive it if I try to go before it get to that temperature it sounds like its misfiring and doesn't have much power and it will blown white smoke. once the truck get to 170 degrees it runs normal.

I've tested the FICM and with the key on it was in the mid to upper 40s and when it was cranked it was the same thing and when it was running it would drop to 35 volts randomly the go right back up to 48 volts. it was tested when the truck was already warmed up would that make any difference on the results of the FICM?

what else should I be looking at on this problem too?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
How does it start when the engine is hot?

·
Strokin Roughneck
118 Posts
I would have to lean towards a FICM issue, any voltage drop is a pretty good indicator that your FICM is either bad or going bad, I had some of the same issues when my FICM was going out, I bought a Half Shell(power supply) replaced it. Havent had a problem since.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it stars fine after its been running for a while. it only runs bad when its cold and been sitting for a while.

After the truck is turned off there is a buzz coming from the engine not sure what it is but a friend says its the injectors but he isn't a diesel mechanic doesn't really have any experience with diesels. the buzz stays on for about 30 seconds to a minute. could this be related or be something different?

·
Strokin Roughneck
118 Posts
The truck starts fine after being ran? This would be due to inductive heat. I had the same symptoms. My truck would be a bear to start in the morning, sometimes not even starting at all. The buzz might be from injectors, I would recommend doing an injector buzz test. I know I have a buzz coming from my engine bay when I turn the key over before starting but I believe it to be normal.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
this is how it sounds when mine starts when its cold but it has white smoke with the puffs of black smoke instead of all black. I just found this. would bad injects make it run the same as this too?

·
Strokin Roughneck
118 Posts
Are there any DTC's? if so what are they? I would replace the FICM power supply. I ordered mine from Bulletproof Diesel. I love it. Great customer service. The guy actually saved me a ton of money I was ready to replace the whole FICM, he explained to me that usually the power supply is what goes out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
P0261 injector cylinder #1
P0264 injector cylinder #2
P0267 injector cylinder #3
P0270 injector cylinder #4
P0273 injector cylinder #5
P0276 injector cylinder #6
P0279 injector cylinder #7
P0282 injector cylinder #8

they all are the low/open circuit, fuel injector, FICM connecter loose

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If its definitely the FICM I'm thinking I'm going to get the Bullet Proof Diesel 6 phase FICM. would that be the best replacement?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Sinister diesel has a new ficm just came out it's priced good , there is a guy local to me who rebuilds them for 200 bucks it's def. a ficm issue however you might still be getting some stiction also

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm Planning on getting new injectors from Warren Diesel but I don't have the cash for both a new FICM and injectors at the same time so which ever is the worst of the problem I'm going to replace first.

I'm going to test the FICM again and see if the results have changed. I tested it a week and a half ago but the truck has gotten worse since I tested it.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Check the injector harness make sure it's not getting rubbed on anything, like I said the ficm has to be the issue I have never seen all 8 injector pull codes at once. Unless your running some really bad oil or fuel, the inductive heating in the ficm will wake it up after it's been running a while but it sounds like you will need new injectors soon from the video you posted. I had warren do 9 injectors for me they are in the mail. $1968 for 175/75 with the new solenoids. I got one extra just in case!

·
Strokin Roughneck
118 Posts
You can use additives such as Rev X or Archoil to help alleviate stiction issues. I personally would use BPD for the FICM.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Sinister is out of stock right now anyway. I use archoil it works pretty good

·
Strokin Roughneck
118 Posts
What benefits are you seeing using the Archoil?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
It run quieter sound like a 6.4, starts easier, as far as oil I haven't had it tested yet I run it with T6 5/40 it's a good combo for tx weather.

·
Strokin Roughneck
118 Posts
Thats great info thanks. Im looking for something besides Rev-X

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
It's cheaper then the x I think you will get the same results I have never ran the x I got mine from ktperformance I asked which one they preferred he said archoil all the way

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I noticed your in west tx we are trying to do a dyno day in stephensville soon I'll keep you posted

·
Strokin Roughneck
118 Posts
Hell Yeah Im fixing to upgrade the hell out of my truck Im excitied!!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts