Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Ive got a 2003 f250 that seems to run very hot when I tow my trailer which knly weighs about 6k. Now Im going over mountains and massive hills here in Oregon but I hit temps of 235+ and have to slow down because of it. As soon as I hit about 210-215 ect I start hearing the sound of jingle bells under the hood intermitenly. Its the only way I can describe the noise and its not consistent but like an on and off noise. But the temps just go up, Im guessing the fan clutch is smoked or maybe the water pump?

The truck has 140k on it now, deleted and tuned but I only tow on stock setting.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Does the engine have head studs?

Do you hear the fan come on when temps creep up?

Is there any evidence of coolant residue around the degas bottle cap?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does the engine have head studs?

Do you hear the fan come on when temps creep up?

Is there any evidence of coolant residue around the degas bottle cap?
Yes its studded. No coolant leaking whatsoever.

The only thing i notice is that jingly noise when the temps go up. I assume its about when the fan should be at max speed?

·
Registered
372 Posts
I'd be checking the water pump; wouldn't think just the fan not working could cause such high temps with a relatively light load. Hows your deltas?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd be checking the water pump; wouldn't think just the fan not working could cause such high temps with a relatively light load. Hows your deltas?
Always within 5-10 even while towing. I was thinking the same thing and replace both at the same time. Daily driving and no load its usually around 190 or so.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,089 Posts
If your water flow is keeping the oil temp at a 5-10 degree differential, the water pump is probably ok.

In addition to the fan clutch possibility, maybe look to the radiator and see if it is clogged.

Personally, I would also install a pressure gauge on the degas bottle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If your water flow is keeping the oil temp at a 5-10 degree differential, the water pump is probably ok.

In addition to the fan clutch possibility, maybe look to the radiator and see if it is clogged.

Personally, I would also install a pressure gauge on the degas bottle.
Ok ill check the radiator, it is a newer mishimito. I would think if the water pump was bad or radiator were clogged that id have issues even unloaded.

What would the degas bottle gauge be for?

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,089 Posts
See if you have a slight head gasket leak pressuring up the degas bottle. You can have a head gasket leak without losing coolant.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts