Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
dieselnoob.
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally decided between a 6.0 and 7.3, im getting a 6.0 guys..

I found this one in houston texas, its a 2003 f350 srw lariat, I went and checked it out saturday and it was awesome. Me and my friend couldnt find one thing wrong with it!

I was hoping for some of you guys' help on any issues with an 03 6.0, or anything i should be super careful about looking for.

Also, if anyone is in the houston texas area that is a technician or really knows their stuff, i wouldnt mind paying for you to come with me to do an inspection of the truck, the owner doesnt want me taking it anywhere off of his lot to check it out.. im mainly looking for head problems, egr problems and now that i think about it, i think its been tuned but im not too sure of that..so any way of checking that would be great!

any pointers, common issues or any piece of advice i should be looking for would be great!!!

thanks

·
dieselnoob.
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
dieselnoob.
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
as for the coolant, there was no residue but i didnt check for oil in the reservoir!

how would i know if it has been tuned? its really fast, somewhat faster than other 6.0's ive test drove..

and can dtc's be checked with a basic diagnostic tool?

need to check the fuel pressure stuff too.

i found a mobile diesel mechanic that says he can come look at it, and hes closed right now, but im trying to see if he would be able to check most of this stuff above. theyre not a performance shop, so im worried as to what he can find out about it or not...

thanks guys!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Also, I would get an oasis report on the truck. That will show all previous repairs that have been done to the truck at any dealership.

·
Registered
287 Posts
if i lived near u, id do it no problem, but i cant help there. usually if its tuned, it will soke excessively when accelerating hard

·
Registered
207 Posts
i would be wondering why he wont let you take it to ford and have it inspected. maybe he is hiding something. i would tell him it has to go to ford. they will be a nuteral party to tell you whats wrong. also if you can find someone with a scan tool check out for transmission codes too.

it willl be faster than other 6.0l's and it will have better throttle responce than the other ones. just because its tuned DOES NOT mean it blows black smoke. mine has a race tune in it and when i punch it i get a very little puff of black and thats it. and i can break both back tires loose at 70 km/h.

if you think it might be tuned check to see if there are head studs in it. best of luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts