Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
History of truck. Stolen in 2006 with 33k miles. Engine bay stripped of everything except long block. Owner bought truck back from insurance, and then passed away. Truck has sat in a garage since.
I bought it from his grand daughter. I replaced everything with new ford parts. Trucks runs great.
The transmission will shift into reverse and backs up well. Drop in in D, and it locks up. Will not budge. If you put it in low it still locks up. Any other gear and it moves and shifts all the way into high gear. 4:10 ratio, 1700 at 60 mph on hiway. If your moving slightly and go to D or low, it will lock up the rear tires. Feels like it's in low and reverse at the same time. Once the tow/haul light starts flashing, after about 60 seconds of driving, it will no longer lock up in D or low. However, 1st and second is skipped in the shifting. It takes off in 3rd. I have p2703 and p0730 codes. Replaced both filters and new oil, no change. Has the computer, forgot how to shift this transmission? Thanks for any help.. and hello everyone!!

·
Premium Member
9,188 Posts
welcome to PSN.
first thing i would do is check ALL fuses. my 04 did the same thing, and i found 2 blown fuses.
replaced the bad fuses and everything worked properly again.

Reactions: Kbs17

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
welcome to PSN.
first thing i would do is check ALL fuses. my 04 did the same thing, and i found 2 blown fuses.
replaced the bad fuses and everything worked properly again.
That's good to hear, sounds like maybe a voltage problem? Fuses are all good.

·
Premium Member
9,188 Posts
i know this may sound silly, but did you visually test fuses, or test them with an ohm meter?
if all fuses are good look for a bad/loose connection to trans. it is 99% an electrical issue.

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,171 Posts
My SWAG* is that some of the solenoids are connected to the wrong wires. The software won't be able to detect that and will not set codes. But all sorts of weird things can happen, and that's what you described.

I think you need to pin out the harness and see if the wiring goes where it is supposed to go.

*SWAG = Silly WIld A Guess

Edit: Just had another SWAG - the solenids could be in the wrong spot. Some solenoids are proportional and some are inversely proportional. This means that with no power the proportional solenoids are at zero pressure and the inverse solenoids are at max pressure. If they are in the wrong spots this can happen.

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,171 Posts
Solenoids:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I think my pcm is fried. I keep loosing cam sync. Fan clutch turns off and on every 5 seconds, or runs all the time. Transmission not shifting. Security system will not communicate with pcm. Hard start cold, even plugged in on a 70 degree day. No power, no vgt turbo sounds. Thanks for your input.. And this makes sense, cause it's the only thing not new, on this restoration project.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts