Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello gents!
This is a question for you transmission guys out there lol.
2 days ago I lost over drive.
Everything else is shifting fine.
I have an edge insight and gave me codes;

P0770- Shift Solenoid "E" malfunction

P0985-Shift Solenoid "E" Control Circuit Low

So my question is.... Shift solenoid E in any diagram I find is for Low/reverse.

Why would I have no overdrive but have reverse?
What do you guys suggest? Replace the solenoid /fluid change?
The fluid looks fine and is at the right level.

Thanks Gents!!!
Cheers
Tony

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello!
Thanks for the info Zmann
Looks like what I have found. Shift solenoid "e"
Is for reverse/low. I don't get it. Should I replace "e" or the overdrive solenoid ? I'm confused haha.

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,091 Posts
I don't see ANYTHING that says, "Replace a solenoid."

The error code says the circuit for solenoid E is electrically low all the time. This means it's shorted to ground. It could be the solenoid, but it is more likely to be a problem in the wiring. If solenoid E is on the trans won't shift to overdrive.

Reactions: Zmann

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello Mark!
Thanks for chiming, I really appreciate your help.

What would you suggest is my next course action?

Drop the pan and test the solenoid?
After that I'm not too sure on where to go.

I'm too sure what you meant by " if it's on the trans it won't shift overdrive"

Sorry about the Amature questions....?im very much a tranny novice lol

Thanks !
Cheers!
Tony

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,091 Posts
If solenoid E is turned on the trans can't shift to overdrive. If the control wire for solenoid E from the PCM is shorted to ground (and that's what the code indicates has happened) then solenoid E will be on all the time and the trans won't shift to overdrive.

My recommendation is to diagnose the wiring harness, that's the most likely place to find the problem. you need to check it electrically, not just visually. You should then electrically check the solenoid from the trans connector. You don't need to drop the pan unless you measure that the problem is inside the trans. I'm betting the problem is outside the trans.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello!

I took a look at the wiring harness underneath....
Can't see any breaks in the harness.

Did the classic wiggle around and hope it fixes it lol.

Now... She will only go into 4th fwd.
park N reverse work.

I'm stupped.
Idea's?

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,091 Posts
My idea would be take it to someone that knows how to diagnose a problem in the wiring harness. What you did was useless.

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,091 Posts
Did you just wiggle it, or were you monitoring the circuit for continuity while you were doing that?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was wiggling the harness and my friend ( he's a gas turbine tech) monitored circuitry.

No change.

I brought it to a transmission shop and th can't find it yet.... They really do t sound like they know what they are talking about and after 3 hours of diognostics they told me..."we think it's in the harness" lol they only charged me an hour after I explained that I already told them that - haha.

So my thoughts are....
Buy a new external wiring harness,internal harness and new direct solenoid. Install them all and see. I can get all 3 for 300 off eBay.
That's only 3 hours of labour at that" shop"

Thoughts???
Thanks for your guys help and input!
Cheers!
Tony

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,091 Posts
In this situation I've just run a new wire from the PCM to the transmission connector.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Your thinking try the "e" solenoid from the pcm to the trans connector? Makes sence.
Anyone have a pcm pin connector Diargam and a trans on either? Any idea the color of the wire? Also... Is there a difference between years of the harness? My truck is a 04

Thanks!
Cheers,
Tony

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,091 Posts
You already know the color of the wire and the pin number if what you told us above is true. You were monitoring continuity while doing the wiggle test. How did you monitor continuity without knowing which wire it was?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My friend J did that part while I was " wiggling"
We are in the Navy and he slipped to sea yesterday. So now I'm on my own again. He had all that info.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A new update. Drove the truck today and it shifted fine. All the way up to OD. That lasted about about 10 min. Then tow haul light flashing again and no OD. Now only have the code p0770- shift solenoid "e" malfunction.
Should I still be looking for a short? Ooooor ?
I'm stumped.
Thanks guys!
Cheers!
Tony

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,091 Posts
I think I'm about done trying to help. You've ignored everything I've told you.

For the benefit of anyone else that may find this thread and got this far, REPLACE THE WIRE FROM THE PCM TO THE TRANSMISSION CONNECTOR THAT CONNECTS TO SOLENOID E.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Which is the wire that needs to be replaced? I’m having this issue on my 06 F250. Shifts through the gears just fine but I don’t believe it has OD at the moment and tow haul is flashing constantly

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,091 Posts
Which is the wire that needs to be replaced? I’m having this issue on my 06 F250. Shifts through the gears just fine but I don’t believe it has OD at the moment and tow haul is flashing constantly
What code is stored in the computer's memory?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts