Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a very annoying situation that i cant figure out... i have a 2002 F250 with a 12in lift and 39in tires, just had the entire front end rebuilt so i know its nothing there. It rides smooth until you reach 40-47 mph then it feels like it bounces up and down... if you stay on the throttle and move past the 40-47mph mark quickly it wont do it but when crusing at like 45mph it will hop and shake you to death..

any ideas on what this can be

·
Registered
136 Posts
My truck does the same thing im pretty sure its an un balanced tire. But I have had u-joints make a bad vibe at a specific speed

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My truck does the same thing im pretty sure its an un balanced tire. But I have had u-joints make a bad vibe at a specific speed
yeah i took my truck out tongiht for the first tiime in a while and i was wrong after it gets past about 50mph it no longer hops it then kinda vibrates.....

·
All Jacked up on Mt Dew!!
148 Posts
It is your tires man! Are you running balancing beads or equal?

·
<----Nice headlights!!!
1,868 Posts
Unbalanced tires...I know that feeling all too familiar. I had a pair of 39x15.5 MT Baja belted, or set rather, on my 2000 and I replaced steering components, u-joints,and even brake rotors. Make a long story short, I had a new set of MT Baja claw radials(37x13.5) installed and miraculously my problems disappeared. They balanced out REAL easily too. Crappy tires=crappy ride. On a side note, I wouldnt expect a real smooth ride with tires that size out of any make.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys, yeah you are most likely 100% right, i never thought to check if the tires were balanced... in which i can almost be they are not... i bought them already mounted when i bought the lift and i hear no beads or poweder whn i turn the wheel slowly while jacked up... so im assuming they are just mounted and thats the extent of it...

BTW is it tru you can balance your tire with airsoft gun beads.. if so how do i go about finding out how much it will take

·
28 cent #2
2,874 Posts
thanks guys, yeah you are most likely 100% right, i never thought to check if the tires were balanced... in which i can almost be they are not... i bought them already mounted when i bought the lift and i hear no beads or poweder whn i turn the wheel slowly while jacked up... so im assuming they are just mounted and thats the extent of it...

BTW is it tru you can balance your tire with airsoft gun beads.. if so how do i go about finding out how much it will take
With a truck that big and tire that big I would take it to a shop and have it done right. It would be well worth it and night/day difference. Try a big rig shop they usually do a better job and can accomadate trucks with larger tires. They are cheaper alot of the time to than going to small shop and asking them to work on something big.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Make sure the wheels are balanced otherwise it will just beat the piss out of the truck, also make sure you got a good alignment or you'll be puttin tires on there again soon

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah ill get them balanced asap... and i lengthed my driveshaft btw...

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Did the vibration just start with the new tires?

Is it a one piece driveline? Or did you use a carrier bearing drop?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did the vibration just start with the new tires?

Is it a one piece driveline? Or did you use a carrier bearing drop?
its a one piece.. and its been vibrating the whole time the lift and tires were put on but it set and i think may have flat spoted the tires but i duno... the tread looks even how ever.... i think personally its the tires because i know the front suspension is done right but it does feel like its coming from the rear tire area

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
If you think there is a flat spot in em take the wheel and tire off the truck and push it on a flat area and you will be able to see if there is a flat spot.

·
Davey B
930 Posts
I had a set of swampers that had the same problem, from like 30 to 40 you had to hold on cuz it would stat bouncing real bad. I finally got sick of it and bought new tires and the problem went away

1 - 15 of 15 Posts