Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Romans 1:16
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am posting this because I spent hours looking for the cause of my vehicle malfunction. Before anyone rips me, all this work was done in the dark with just a mini maglite as my light. It was also frigidly cold! I am a new member, as well as, a new diesel owner. A couple of days ago I had a "serious" issue. New truck would't crank or start. Not knowing any history on the truck, I started with the obvious. Check the starter relay-Good, Check that the starter is getting power-Good (although, it looked kinda suspicious--Only two wires on solenoid) Due to lack of hands, I was unable to check the voltage going to starter. Assumed it was getting enough voltage since it had been starting and the no crank, no start issue was intermittent. This was dead wrong to assume!!:doh: Now for the fix, I "hired" a buddy to sit in the drivers seat and try to crank while I checked voltage at the starter. Only getting 9v. Red Flag!! Starters must have 10v minimum to crank. I immediately checked battery connections--Good. Then checked ground--Good. I then looked up the starter schematic to see why I only had two wires (thought it was suspicious, but new to diesel world) and I found my culprit. Previous owner did not hook up the battery to starter cable. It must have been sitting int just the right place because I didn't have the issue all the time (it was intermittent). The starter was fried (apparently the cable from the battery shorted out across the solenoid and killed it). I then got a reman from AutoZone and put it on. I had to cut the old end off the cable from the battery and reconnect with 2 gauge wire going to the end that I cut, and the post on the solenoid. I checked voltage--GREAT! I then tried to start and truck started healthier than it ever has. My guess, the previous owner got rid of it for this issue.

If anyone has questions or comments, feel free to contact me.

Thanks for checking my thread, and remember, almost every issue on a vehicle is going to be electrical. Check fuses and ground first. Sometimes a battery cable just needs to be cleaned.:psn:

1 - 1 of 1 Posts