Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
throttle jockey
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just ran to town an hour ago, and it started fine, now it won't turn over. everything is normal with the exception of it not cranking over. where do i start to get this fired up?

·
throttle jockey
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ok, found my Chilton book. the truck acts like the clutch is not engaged, replaced the sensor on the clutch, checked fuses and cable lines...something is wrong but i'm out of options

·
throttle jockey
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
problem resolved, mods can delete

·
Registered
574 Posts
what was the issue, I have an 02 that intermittently doesn't want to start

·
throttle jockey
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
clutch position sensor and the relay. did it again today, replaced relay 301 with 307 and she started right up. shut it back down and swapped them back and she started again...i've got a gremlin somewhere, gonna have to start tracing wires and checking solenoids

·
throttle jockey
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The last post was a temporary fix evidently. the last two days have been hell to start. Hot started the starter and it checked out. Cleaned all terminals before reinstall, batteries are good, fuses and relays are good. Am I missing something?

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
Swap relays again next time it does it. If it starts again that means your relay has an intermittent failure.

·
throttle jockey
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've got two spares and now it won't start when I swap them out. The only way I can get it cranked over is if i cycle the key a s-ton of times.

·
Registered
842 Posts
ignition switch. do you do alot of turning of the key?

·
throttle jockey
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thats about all i can come up with bein messed up, how does a guy pull that out?

·
Registered
842 Posts
under the key switch in the plastic there is a Thru hole insert a long skinny Phillips into hole put key in ignition turn while pushing up on the screwdriver pull out key switch check internals in there thats all i can tell you with out you having to drop the column

·
throttle jockey
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
is there a way to check it before buyin a new one? can I get one keyed to my doors or will i have to replace those locks too?

·
Registered
842 Posts
pull the lock cylinder it could be broke on the end where it turns the switch. how far is fairview from springfield if you buy one from the dealer i can key it for you there not hard... i'm about 1.5hrs from springfield

·
throttle jockey
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
about an hour, where are you located?

·
Registered
842 Posts
harrison, ark about 1.5 from springfield

·
throttle jockey
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I pulled the key today, its still in one piece, ordered a replacement, which should be in tomorrow, if that doesn't work where do I start tracing wires?

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
The key cylinder has nothing to do with the ignition switch other than the rod which connects the two. The actual ignition switch that controls the various electrical components in the truck is located about half way down the steering column. There are two nuts or bolts depending on what ford did that year, that hold it onto the column. To replace it you disconnect the batteries, turn the key cylinder to the run position, unbolt the ignition switch, replace the switch with the new one, bolt it back down, turn the key off, reconnect the batteries, and test the new switch for proper operation.

·
Registered
842 Posts
The key cylinder has nothing to do with the ignition switch other than the rod which connects the two. The actual ignition switch that controls the various electrical components in the truck is located about half way down the steering column. There are two nuts or bolts depending on what ford did that year, that hold it onto the column. To replace it you disconnect the batteries, turn the key cylinder to the run position, unbolt the ignition switch, replace the switch with the new one, bolt it back down, turn the key off, reconnect the batteries, and test the new switch for proper operation.
:whs::whs:

If the end was still on the key switch your good to go...

·
throttle jockey
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks guys, the ignition switch was the culprit, at least for now

·
Registered
842 Posts
glad ya got it figured

1 - 20 of 20 Posts