Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 7.3L with a little over 140,000 miles on it. I had no problems with the truck until I hit 135,000 then I found fuel in the radiator. I replaced the injector cups and injector o-rings and fixed that problem. Then I started getting a p1211 code when I would get on it to pass someone. I ended up replacing the HPOP to fix that. Now I'm having this weird idle where it changes randomly. It only changes by around 200 rpm's then it returns to normal. Low end seems to be a little sluggish too and the problem gets better as the engine warms up. Runs fine at highway speeds. I have the AE software and it's failing cylinders 3 and 8 on the cylinder contribution test. Research tells me that number 8 usually fails due to it being a different injector. Could #3 be causing my idle problem? That leads to another question. Do I just swap 3 out with a different injector and see if problem follows or do I need to run a compression test? I don't notice a "miss" when it's idling. The rpm's rise then return to normal. It has a new ICP regulator and ICP sensor. I also installed new injector wiring harnesses when I replaced the injector cups. Thanks.

·
Registered
853 Posts
might want to check the cps. a bad cps will fail number 8 cylinder on tests and could also explain the idle issue

·
Registered
701 Posts
What are the conditions when the idle changes? Cold out? Been sitting for a while?

When the oil is below a certain temp, the PCM will increase the idle to warm the truck.

As far as the #3/#8 CCT failure codes, that is almost always caused by the CPS itself. The Grey/Dark Grey/Blue ones, as well as aftermarket CPSs will have those (ghost) codes. So I wouldn't sweat it too much.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It does it when it's cold and after it has warmed up. It also is doing this surging thing when I stop at a stop sign or red light. As soon as I clutch it to stop and the motor idles down it will surge a few times and then the idle will smooth out. Then it may or may not start that thing where the idle will creep up then level off.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Big thanks to richyrich and jfarmer. I bought a new CPS and installed it then ran cylinder contribution test. It passed on all cylinders. Never even considered that sensor. I just figured if it went bad it wouldn't run. I thew the old one in the toolbox for a spare. It will at least get me to the parts store if one craps out. I don't know if it fixed the weird idle thing. I'll put some miles on it tomorrow and find out. Thanks again guys. That's why I post here. So far I haven't had to take it to the dealership with help from guys like y'all.

·
Registered
853 Posts
glad to hear it and glad to help a fellow powerstroker

1 - 7 of 7 Posts