Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening everyone hope everyone and their families are well. Me and my wife are looking at purchasing a toy hauler. The one I'm really interested in has a GVRW of 13000lbs. The hitch on my truck is a class V rated for 10000lbs. My question is can I put a bigger hitch on my truck to haul the trailer? I'm sure I wouldn't be the first person towing something like this. My truck is a long bed crew cab single wheel. We are eventually looking at getting a Can Am four seater to to put in the box in the future. I'm sure this has been answered before I just don't understand the weights with everything. Thanks

·
Registered
5,803 Posts
You can't get any bigger than a class V

With weight distribution hitch the rating will go up to 17,000 lbs.

What's the year and size of your truck? You may be pushing and or passing its weight capacity.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Reactions: Dustybumpers

·
Registered
5,803 Posts
It's not the amount of weight you can pull; it is the amount of weight you can stop.
But that is where a proper working trailer brake system comes in.

With as much weight as that trailer sounds it has I'll wager that it is a triple axle with brakes on all of them. But the OP needs to remember that if what he is looking at is the trailers specifications then that is a dry trailer and he'll need to add another 1000-2000 lbs to it once he loads it up.

·
Project Shamu
2,854 Posts
The Tag means nothing to anybody but the DMV.

My 2014 Stealth 2715 has a dry weight posted of 6200, but it ACTUALLY weighs 7950lbs completely empty, no water, fuel or propane. Once I fully load it with everything, and out 4 seat RZR, it weighs 13,000lbs.

I would go get it weighed yourself, trailer manufactures are notorious for under weighing them. (Like weighing them without the generator for one)

Reactions: Jax

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
With as much weight as that trailer sounds it has I'll wager that it is a triple axle with brakes on all of them. But the OP needs to remember that if what he is looking at is the trailers specifications then that is a dry trailer and he'll need to add another 1000-2000 lbs to it once he loads it up.
I disagree. 13K is a two axle.

Okay @G.B.O.C.7.3, who is right?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is a three axle trailer. Other things I'm considering is if this trailer is to heavy for what my truck can tow if something were to happen I get in a accident will my insurance not cover anything cause I was over my towing capacity? Definitely alot of things I'm figuring out

·
Registered
5,803 Posts

·
Registered
5,803 Posts
Have you thought about a 5th wheel toy hauler?

A friend of mine has a very nice one that he hauls a Honda side by side in. When he gets to his camping spot he just lowers the gate and pulls the side by side out. He'll then fire up his electric leaf blower and clean out the trailer and is then done and ready to enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
It is a three axle trailer. Other things I'm considering is if this trailer is to heavy for what my truck can tow if something were to happen I get in a accident will my insurance not cover anything cause I was over my towing capacity? Definitely alot of things I'm figuring out
Okay, @Bugman , I concede.

·
Registered
5,803 Posts
No problem, but when you are getting up to that weight even with a bumper pull odds are it is a triple.

Even some 5th wheel trailers at that weight will be a triple. That should be a big indication of too much weight on the trailer.
Even if the OP purchases it and has the weight distribution hitch set up right he may experience some problems with it with just a single wheel F350

I have a friend that has a pretty big 5th wheel and was towing it with a F350 swd and said that it was handling it just fine. Around 6 months later he purchased a F350 dual wheel truck after he had a "Oh My God" moment as a semi passed him.

Reactions: Jax

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone for the response, I'm really partial to a bumper pull cause I like to have my bed space as well. I know with a 5th wheel I would be more than good with a 30ft (honestly I would go bigger with 5th wheel). We will just keep looking until we find something. The 30ft I was looking at was a Weekend Warrior and I've been told they are on the heavier side compared to other toy boxes

·
Project Shamu
2,854 Posts
Well I'll add in some other info to, regarding the above mentioned 2 axle and 3 axle, my Stealth is a 32' 2 axle and fully loaded weighs 13,000lbs. Granted, I do believe it has a GVWR of 12,000lbs, so I do have the trailer overloaded in those instances (which isnt super often).

I also just bought a very large (43 ft) 5th wheel weighing 15,000lbs empty, and it is a 3 axle. Another trailer I looked at (2021 Forest River Vengeance 351a13) was 44ft, weighed 14,000lbs (18,000# GVWR if I remember correctly) and was only a double axle, which was borderline scary. Mine is also a SRW, and have never had an "OH MY GOD" moment with the Stealth, but I know with my new 5er hooked up, I'm bound to, and will be converting to DRW because of it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah absolutely the biggest I would go be 35ft on a 5th wheel with a single tire. It's just a drag the trailer I looked at is extremely nice and clean for its year. Original owner so it's really hard to pass that up cause you don't find one's like very often. Thanks again everyone for the help

·
Registered
330 Posts
Payload on the truck is where most run into trouble. Fully loaded with 13% tongue weight you are adding 1,690 lbs to the truck. If you are a 4WD crew cab you will find that by the time you load up with passengers and fuel and a few tools you don't have that much payload left. My F350 SRW CC long bed 4X4 with fiberglass topper, 2 passengers, luggage and fuel puts me at 8,860 with a GVWR of 9,900 only leaves 1,040 left for tongue weight.

·
Project Shamu
2,854 Posts
Wow your SRW is 9900lbs? My F350 SRW is 9200.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts