Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well recently my 2001 7.3 has be acting weird, somedays if its cooler then other,about 45 or below and the truck has been sitting 24hours+ it doesnt want to start, i wait for the WTS light to go off,and it cranks but sounds like its loosing power,and then i crank it again and it starts fine,no probs;but there is a good amount of white/grayish smoke, ive been thinking its the glow plugs,am i right?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
well recently my 2001 7.3 has be acting weird, somedays if its cooler then other,about 45 or below and the truck has been sitting 24hours+ it doesnt want to start, i wait for the WTS light to go off,and it cranks but sounds like its loosing power,and then i crank it again and it starts fine,no probs;but there is a good amount of white/grayish smoke, ive been thinking its the glow plugs,am i right?
I say the GP's are not the problem. I have started my truck in the winter in Idaho w/o waiting for the GP's... I would say you may not be building enough ICP when cold. The white grayish smoke is clean unburnt Diesel that did not have a chance to flash burn in the hot exhaust. It could also be a compound situation.. Worn Injectors, tired HPOP and compression.

I have the same deal as you're describing. My '02 has progressively been getting rougher and rougher in the cold mornings. I have a Inj code floating around as well as a leaky IPR and a questionable ICP at start time. I have had a scanner on it in the mornings and it seems like it needs a few turns to get everything in order. I am replacing the IPR next weekend due to the leak. I am also going to look at the Adrenaline HPOP and a set of singles soon.

How many miles do you have on her?

·
Headwind Magnet
626 Posts
I take it you mean a slow crank? If so, how old are your batts? These motors can do funny things when the batts are on their last leg.
Best,
Jim

·
Registered
1,016 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so she did not want to start at all today,it prolly took about 6 tries,while she was cranking white smoke(looked like white)was jsut rolling out of the tailpipe.im gonna bring her to my friends shop to loadtest the batts,checkem and the alter. any other suggestions?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
so she did not want to start at all today,it prolly took about 6 tries,while she was cranking white smoke(looked like white)was jsut rolling out of the tailpipe.im gonna bring her to my friends shop to loadtest the batts,checkem and the alter. any other suggestions?
If you have access to a scanner, you can look at ICP during cranking. But, based on the fact you see white smoke rolling out of your tailpipe during cranking, your injectors must be working which means you must have enough oil pressure.

It may be your GP's.. Do you have any dtc's or have you hooked a scanner up to see what comes out?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts