Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning gents,

I'm posting this here because I would like opinions from anyone with a superduty, regardless of the year, engine or transmission

I have a 2001 superduty CCSB 7.3 auto as the truck in question

So I recently returned from a roughly 2000 mile trip in my old beast, during the trip, my wife put a bug in my ear that it may be time to upgrade to a newer (quieter) truck. Now initially I'm not a big fan of the idea since I feel I finally have this truck dialed in mechanically. After I finally figured out my fuel pressure issue, it has been running just absolutely awesome. But... It's a clanky, leaf sprung, solid axle truck that's loud and a little smokey in the break stuff tune, now that I have solid fuel pressure. it's always gotten horrible mileage, this trip I averaged 11.5mpg over about 2000 miles, I wasn't exactly aiming for fuel economy tho. There are some things I wish I had, like an exhaust brake, maybe more comfortable seats and a flip up jump seat/center console, a longer bed, but to me it still doesn't warrant replacing the whole truck. Side note, budget troll says I'm not allowed to have 2 trucks keep that in mind for your response. On top of the sentimental attachment I have with it, I've got roughly 50,000 on the engine rebuild and about 10,000 on the trans rebuild but it's still a 20 year old truck that occasionally does have old truck problems.

As soon as we got home from the trip, I had the dreaded short on the marker light circuit and was ready to call it but after I found it and fixed it, I'm changing my mind lmao how many times have we all done that!

In conclusion, a newer truck would be nice but not having a payment is nicer. I live in the nanny state but I'm not afraid to delete and tune. I should also mention that I will only get rid of my truck if another diesel is on the table, I don't care much for Cummins, Duramax and have not heard much good about 6.4's. that said I am honestly left with a '15 and newer 6.7 to upgrade to.

I'm truly on the fence. I love my truck, it's been my baby that I've turned every nut and bolt on and built it all myself. I feel the attachment comes from some hard times within the last 6 years where, honestly, fixing something was the only way to clear my head for a bit, call it a crutch if you want.

feel free to ask more questions and get this discussion going. so who has gone from a 7.3 to a 6.7?
6.0 to a 6.7?
Maybe a 6.4 to a 6.7?
Any regrets?
How difficult is it to mitigate cab noise... On a 7.3 with single shots... Completely?? Lol

Other than a touch screen deck and shift tube bushings, I literally have done nothing to the interior nor have I had the time to do much research on cab noise mitigation.

·
PSN intsigator
6,842 Posts
I've got 3 7.3's and can completely rebuild them twice for what a new one costs!

Reactions: Jax and TDtech1

·
Registered
9 Posts
My budget troll Complained about the ride in my truck the other day leaf sprung lifted 2004 6.0. I laughed and told her to buy me a new one and make that payment and don’t let me see it. I have driven my parents 2017 f350 a few times and I still like my truck better. Just doesn’t excite me much I guess plus they have had it In The dealer like 6-7 times for dumb sensor stuff or water in the head lights and her maps on the gps are still not updated. I just feel like the new ones have so many bells and whistles it will be interesting to see it when it’s 10 years old and mine is 23 years old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Both responses are exactly how I feel. I have test driven an '18 a couple years ago and it was just ok, not worth $60,000 to me and it's difficult to justify the cost for something that's just transportation, until I find a camper worth buying. Even still, my truck will pull whatever I may need to put behind it.

I do agree on the age statement but I also do remember back when these trucks were coming out and we all thought the same thing, because it wasn't a carbureted 5 speed and had computers that can talk to each other... That was an insane concept 20 years ago.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I guess one way to look at it is: Can I perform any repair needed myself, including paint and body, without having to pay someone else, and still have a safe, fun, reliable unit? This is a cost factor to consider. Also, consider the actual total loss value of what you have, i.e. : Your truck probably has an insurance value of $10K-$12K after any deductible, if you happen to have full coverage, or at least comprehensive. Now you say the drive train for the most part is young, and that would be a major expense avoided for now. So, if you can keep her going, looking good, and reliable, then it's a no brainer; keep it. Does it have the tow capacity you need, if yes, keep it. Can you afford to keep putting money in to it but with a diminishing return value ( back to insurance again )? If yes, well then keep it. For me personally, there will never be a truck newer than an early '03 7.3 in my stable. The 6.0 can be bullet proofed of course, but lots of $$$. F the 6.4, and the 6.7's have there own issues, plus crappy MPG's due the the DEF crap. In the end, you and the "Fam" will have have to decide what's best, and as long as you can transport the spouse, dog, and 2.5 kids safely, keep your baby and enjoy it. My first '00 SCLB cheated on me and left me on the side of the road @ 134,500, and is now a parts truck for my second, same truck, 352,600 miles, now streetable, but far from finished. It cost me $3000.00, plus $400.00 for a used bed, plus every part I could steal so far from big red. Good luck in your soul search, and be safe.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I've got 3 7.3's and can completely rebuild them twice for what a new one costs!
I have a 7.3 and rebuilt it for 1/4th what a new one costs.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Please expand this quote as I answered within your post, @TDtech1
Morning gents,

I'm posting this here because I would like opinions from anyone with a superduty, regardless of the year, engine or transmission

I have a 2001 superduty CCSB 7.3 auto as the truck in question I, too, have a L99-2002 Superduty 7.3.

So I recently returned from a roughly 2000 mile trip in my old beast, during the trip, my wife put a bug in my ear that it may be time to upgrade to a newer (quieter) truck.

I pulled out the old carpet and seats, etc. I wasn't planning on it, but it was nasty. I put in
Noico 80 mil 36 sqft car Sound deadening mat, Butyl Automotive Sound Deadener, Audio Noise Insulation and dampening
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00URUIKAK/
Put it all over the floor boards and inside the front doors. It wasn't expensive, nor hard. It was time consuming because I really cleaned up the interior to be sure it stuck well. Also, if the floor shifter (I don't have an auto) isn't screwed in properly, it gives a lot of noise. Now, it is pretty darned quiet.

Now initially I'm not a big fan of the idea since I feel I finally have this truck dialed in mechanically. After I finally figured out my fuel pressure issue, it has been running just absolutely awesome. But... It's a clanky, leaf sprung, solid axle truck that's loud and a little smokey in the break stuff tune, now that I have solid fuel pressure. it's always gotten horrible mileage, this trip I averaged 11.5mpg over about 2000 miles, I wasn't exactly aiming for fuel economy tho.

Look at the Mileage threads. There's a lot you can do. Mine gets 13 pulling a travel trailer. 16.5 around the city, but I am still breaking it in and making sure the engine goes full RPM through the shifting.

There are some things I wish I had, like an exhaust brake, maybe more comfortable seats and a flip up jump seat/center console, a longer bed, but to me it still doesn't warrant replacing the whole truck. Side note, budget troll says I'm not allowed to have 2 trucks keep that in mind for your response. On top of the sentimental attachment I have with it, I've got roughly 50,000 on the engine rebuild and about 10,000 on the trans rebuild but it's still a 20 year old truck that occasionally does have old truck problems.

It is still more economical than new truck payments, and you don't have all the issues with the new trucks.

In conclusion, a newer truck would be nice but not having a payment is nicer. I live in the nanny state but I'm not afraid to delete and tune. I should also mention that I will only get rid of my truck if another diesel is on the table, I don't care much for Cummins, Duramax and have not heard much good about 6.4's. that said I am honestly left with a '15 and newer 6.7 to upgrade to.

Consumer Reports says that is not a fabulous idea.

I'm truly on the fence. I love my truck, it's been my baby that I've turned every nut and bolt on and built it all myself. I feel the attachment comes from some hard times within the last 6 years where, honestly, fixing something was the only way to clear my head for a bit, call it a crutch if you want.

My thread: Jax' 1999 F350 7.3L Truck rebuild . . . .

feel free to ask more questions and get this discussion going. so who has gone from a 7.3 to a 6.7? Not only have not, but will not.
6.0 to a 6.7?
Maybe a 6.4 to a 6.7?
Any regrets?
How difficult is it to mitigate cab noise... On a 7.3 with single shots... Completely?? Lol Simple, but never completely.
I purchased a basket-case. I ended up pulling everything out of the cab because I didn't have anything else to do while the engine and transmission were being short-blocked / rebuilt.

You can have your old carpet steam cleaned and it should look like new. I posted the noise stuff up there. You can look at my thread for pictures. It's pretty darned quiet.

I could have chosen new truck payments, but given what I know from other people that have them, all that damn mandated safety and tracking and computer-regulated fuel economy mucks up often. Also, our local dealers suck spectacularly. I looked at used, and people are damned proud of their used trucks.

Keep your truck. Put the money into making it quieter and more luxurious for your significant other.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I looked at used, and people are damned proud of their used trucks.
Can you blame them? ;) Given all the of current electronic krap added, not to mention the emissions junk that you can't program out or remove without becoming a felon.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry guys, life happened and I wasn't able to come around for a bit.

Ronijdio
As far as investment is concerned, I think I am well beyond what I could recoup from insurance in an accident. I do love the truck, mainly just to annoy the liberals in the nanny state but thinking logically, if something happens to the truck I'm definitely out some money. Motor, trans, A/C system and front end rebuild, I've got a little over $15k invested. There are tons of other expenses I'm not including like test equipment, man hours... the 3 or 4 injectors and glow plugs I bought trying to figure out if I needed a rebuild while I was learning diesel troubleshooting on the fly (before I knew to look at forums for help), or the $1400 worth of adapters, bracketry spare motor, Bendix air compressor and misc. Parts for the 13 speed trans swap that I had to abort, to downsize and scrap most of.

Every aspect of this truck has been a valuable lesson learned. the nickel and dime stuff I have to do every month seems to be acceptable (not to my wife), which not having a $700/month payment allows me to do.

On to capacity... Legally? no It does not have the capacity to do what I want. I would probably need an f450 by CA's worthless weight rules, but the truck will do it, if I tell her to lol. I tested this by taking my toy hauler (should have been close to 10k gross trailer weight at that time) up a local steep hill and held 70, with the A/C on max and an ambient temp of about 98. Held 1200* egt and dropped to 1000* when the fan engaged. No overheating, loss of power, trans issues or any other issues to speak of and that hill is 3 or 4 miles long. It's definately loyal, in that regard but I just started having electrical issues. I believe I have it isolated to the GEM needing replaced and bad factory windshield sealant.

I definately need more fuel capacity and bed space. I'm reaching the real estate limit of the short bed with my bed box, 5th wheel hitch and 110 gal fuel tank... Can't use all 3 simultaneously.

Jax,
I have read parts of your thread, I don't think I got to the part of sound deadening. If I remember, it's a lengthy one that I usually skim the updates every month or so it's a little intimidating to read absolutely all of it I don't think I was around when you started your project. All my carpet is immaculate, it's had floor mats it's entire life. Only real issue I have with the interior is the front seats, steering wheel and the lack of a middle seat up front and, well... Noise. When I cut out the auto hump and was preparing to install the 9513 I was going to install 2 layers of sound deadening to mitigate the Eaton gear whine but scrapped the idea when I had to scrap the eaton swap. Good choice tho, My brother-in-law and kid brother both swear by noico for their car audio projects. I just noticed the mpg section a few days ago. I have seen people run 80 series tires and choke the MAP sensor but I'm not looking to go to that extreme for mpg. Still want a decent look and a mild lift with 35's. I know my lead foot, 2 mile work commute and limp Bizkit tune are my biggest issues. I guess I could check that out too.

I don't ever take a truck to be worked on. I'm a maintenance mechanic, I have trust issues and would rather invest that money into tools or equipment to figure it out myself. None of this is rocket science.

I know there is a major price difference. if I didn't do any upgrades, just kept a stock motor and didn't need all the machine work when I rebuilt mine, Ill bet I would have spent less than $4k on that rebuild. The reason I'm debating is not necessarily just about the money. A truck, to me, is an investment and a tool and is used as such.

I have heard of emissions issues with the early 6.7's but my little research so far showed the turbo upgrade in '15 and factory tuning fixed that (still could be wrong on that)

Even if I can't get professional tuning, I feel fairly proficient with Arduino programming and since the reference voltage is all 5v for these trucks. In theory, I should be able to make a well hidden delete setup with a hand full of splices to... "Adjust" sensor values as needed with the Arduino and have a stock appearing, deleted truck that still increases the Regen counter.

All in all I think it needs a GEM, seat skins and butt foams for the front two, sound deadening, weather stripping, a windshield, x-fer case rebuild (starting to leak) and by then I might as well do u-joints and carrier bearing, front/rear diff, body bushings and lift it a couple inches then it will be a new truck lol.

I'm at a crossroads here and thankfully nothing major has happened or i would definitely be done with it. I'm starting to wonder if I'm just getting burned out working on it since I fix cr** all night at work. Maybe put it on the side for a bit and stop using it also as a DD?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts