Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I bought a 2001 f250 7.3 a few months ago. It runs and drives alright. So far, I’m not thrilled with its performance. Everything in it is stock. Would adding a tuner help remedy this? I know a lot of people add intakes and exhausts too, but what exactly will that do for me and is it necessary? I’m hoping I can go with just the tunes. Also, I plan to start towing with this sometime (as soon as I work up the funds for a dump trailer). Are there any other mods that are essential to towing on these 7.3s? The dump trailer is pretty heavy... around 12k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Well you should do some research -—

I know a lot of people add I takes and exhausts too, but what exactly will that do for me
You need all of it.

Some ideas to get you started - and do some research on each. Based on what you want to do.....

Intake

Exhaust

Chip with a 45hp tune is all you need to tow heavy

Upgraded transmission cooler.

That’s all you will need.

————————

above is for a healthy engine, injectors, turbo and Transmission etc. if it’s all aging, you’re looking at throwing some money at it real quick. Will probably cost you a few grand in parts + your labor. If you need a transmission add another 3-5k. If you can’t do it yourself, add in another 3-5k labor.

See where I’m leading you? It’s an aging truck and takes some serious $$$. If you’re gonna do it, do it right and you won’t worry for another 5-8yrs unless you get addicted to speed and go fast parts.

·
Registered
365 Posts
The reason you need all of these upgrades is so you can keep egts and trans temps down. These numbers can skyrocket in a matter of seconds if something isn’t right, or if you’re pushing the truck to hard, especially if you’re going to be towing. By the way, don’t think gauges have been mentioned yet. Go with autometer or isspro for analog, nothing cheap like glowshift (glowshift can be inaccurate). Or if you want a digital monitor that has gauges for literally everything go with a cts monitor.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
​ DieselDC;5947801 said:
Well you should do some research -—

You need all of it.

Some ideas to get you started - and do some research on each. Based on what you want to do.....

Intake

Exhaust

Chip with a 45hp tune is all you need to tow heavy

Upgraded transmission cooler.

That’s all you will need.

————————

above is for a healthy engine, injectors, turbo and Transmission etc. if it’s all aging, you’re looking at throwing some money at it real quick. Will probably cost you a few grand in parts + your labor. If you need a transmission add another 3-5k. If you can’t do it yourself, add in another 3-5k labor.

See where I’m leading you? It’s an aging truck and takes some serious $$$. If you’re gonna do it, do it right and you won’t worry for another 5-8yrs unless you get addicted to speed and go fast parts.

The truck only has 160k on the clock, and the tranny seems to be perfectly healthy. So adding the intake exhaust and tuner should save the tranny from overworking and self destructing?

·
Administrator
8,238 Posts
The cooling for the trans is lacking in the 7.3. To save the trans, you need a 6.0 trans core.

As for a tuner do the hydra or dp tuner f6v2

·
Registered
232 Posts
I would do a 6.0 trans cooler 4 inc exhaust. 6637 intake and hydra or dp tuner and gauges trans temp egt’s gauge. This is the setup I have but mine is built more with bigger turbo injectors and built tranny it is a beast but simple up grades will wake it right up. With out breaking the bank.

·
Administrator
8,341 Posts
as said above, a 4 inch exhaust, 6637 intake, DP F6 or hydra with 40 or 60 HP economy tune, and a pyrometer to monitor exhaust temps will wake your 7.3 up nicely. th larger 6.0 trans cooler is nice, but not an absolute must have.
my 02 still runs the stock cooler and no problems at 195,000 miles, but i also do a complete trans fluid and filter change every 30,000 miles too.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
The truck only has 160k on the clock, and the tranny seems to be perfectly healthy. So adding the intake exhaust and tuner should save the tranny from overworking and self destructing?

Only the cooler will help prevent over heating of the transmission. Let me come up with a list for you.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
The truck only has 160k on the clock

As stated, do some research and let us know what you think or are confused about.

basic towing package (well not really basic)
1. Tuner - go with hydra http://alturl.com/37njc (cncfab is a sponsor here and he’s tops in my book). I have this.
2. Intake - go with afe http://alturl.com/uh3a5. I have a K&N
3. Exhaust - 4” ss http://alturl.com/m9e7r
4. Transmission cooler - trucool - I have this and I think it’s the best deal and better than any cooler you will find. http://alturl.com/i8ipw
5. Gauges for egt, transmission, boost. I would go with glowshift. http://alturl.com/mo7bc I have cheaper ones dating back to 2002 and it works fine. Look at #6
6. My next upgrade is the 3in1 http://alturl.com/aixfg

Note. The only gauge I look at is the EGT. Ever since I upgraded to the trucool - never have I once looked at my transmission. *** it’s that good ***

I have included links all from one source: Ebay. You can shop where ever you want. Some places I shop at that I think are tops

Riffraff, cncfab, dieselsite. I like the convenience of Ebay b/c it’s free shipping the majority of the time. If I need little items, then I go straight to Clay at Riffraff- that guy will help even if you don’t buy his chit. The $15 shipping sucks though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts