Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i installed a zf5 in my 2000 f350. anyone done this and had problems with not getting enough travel out of the slave cyl. ii thought i was fighting an air bubble, but after changing slave cyl, master cyl, and bleeding 2 gal of fluid i still end up with only about half of the travel i need for clutch disengagement. any help would be great
Thanks!!

·
Administrator
8,250 Posts
Did you replace the clutch fork?
Did you use dorman parts?
Did you have oem parts in it to start?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
used factory clutch fork, started with the factory oem parts. replaced master cyl, and slave with napa parts. every thing i have done and im still only getting about half of the travel that i need. i was starting to wonder if the factory master for the 2000 truck does not displace enough fluid to fully supply the zf 5 slave cyl.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
so master is for 2000 truck and slave is for OBS? That may very well be an issue if they are not a matched set

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just wondering if anyone else ran into this, and what they best fix for the issue is. the master cyl. piston is 18mm, while the master cyl, piston used on a zf5 was a 26mm.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
ran into what? What parts did you use? years and such.
When bleeding the master have you tried tapping on the line to release any possible air bubbles?
Some master cylinders can trap air, and require special tricks to get the trapped bubble to release, it can be a real PITA to get all the air out but also will not allow the clutch to travel enough with it in there

How is the plastic bushing at the top of the pedal going into the clutch rod? Those things can really cause some issues also
To fix mine I ordered one of these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-Clutch-Rod-PERMANENT-fix-repair-POWERSTROKE-SUPER-DUTY-BRONCO-Heim-Joint-/222422520730?hash=item33c96a539a:g:OjgAAOSwfVpYpEux&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have tried tapping on the line, bench bleeding the assembly as a whole. plastic piece is brand new. is it possible that with the master cyl only being a 18mm bore that it does not displace enough fluid to get full stroke out of the slave. the slave cyl is a 93 same year as transmission. the master is a 2000, year of the truck.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
yes it is quite possible I bet that is your issue. Master & slaves are matched set rarely interchangeable. The firewall changed a great deal between OBS and the superduty.
But first you should verify your shift fork was not bent? Apparently the zf5 has an issue with that

Either attempt to adapt a 1993 master to your supderduty pedal and firewall or adapt a superduty slave to your 93 transmission

1 - 8 of 8 Posts