Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i the seals in the drain on the fuel bowl went out and i was leaking fuel. So i pulled the fuel bowl out and rebuilt it with complete fuel bowl seal kit from riffraff diesel. Anyway while i was in there i took a bunch of stuff out just for the heck of it. Anyways i put it all back together, fuel bowl in etc.
And it would not start at first so i thought well theres got to be air in the fuel system. So i primed the fuel pump a bunch and cranked it etc until it came to life and it was running very rough so i took it for a drive. Anyways to the point.

Its still running very rough like a cammed idle. And its down on power. As well as the check engine light is on. Were do i start diagnosing.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Look for an unplugged plug somewhere. Probably in the valve cover.

·
Catfish Mafia
397 Posts
iam having a similar issue with my 99. just replaced the turbo and intake plenums. i had to unplug the valve cover harnesses to do the work. when i plugged everything back in, it was running real rough and slow to accelerate. i pulled the plugs again and sprayed electrical cleaner in there. ran ok a time or two then same issue. last night the truck just died on me and had to get towed home! anyway, thinking its the cps now, but i'm working the next 3 days and cant play with it to see. good luck!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there a way to test if something is disconected under the valve cover without taking off the valve cover.

·
Catfish Mafia
397 Posts
the only way i know of is with a scan tool. i dont have one, but i cant check anyway since i'm werking for the next 3 days. maybe the OP can find somebody close with a good scanner..

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Read this thread. It has something in there about ohming glow plugs. If they ohm infinite, you have an issue under the valve cover. You can also do a buzz test (takes a scanner), if the injectors don't buzz, pull a valve cover.

Although, it only takes fifteen minutes per side to pull the covers off.

While doing my injectors, I found one UVCH that would not stay plugged in. The connectors on both valve covers now have some Ford grey death silicone on them. They will never come apart again.

·
Catfish Mafia
397 Posts
Read this thread. It has something in there about ohming glow plugs. If they ohm infinite, you have an issue under the valve cover. You can also do a buzz test (takes a scanner), if the injectors don't buzz, pull a valve cover.

Although, it only takes fifteen minutes per side to pull the covers off.

While doing my injectors, I found one UVCH that would not stay plugged in. The connectors on both valve covers now have some Ford grey death silicone on them. They will never come apart again.
the more i think anout it, the more i think my issue is with valve covers. dang i need a scanner! woudl a regular repair shop be able to buzz test or do i need a special scanner? i should know this by now! :doh:

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Find a shop that specializes in diesel pickups and they should be able to diagnos it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts