Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the site, but this is not my first ford truck.
I own a ford f150 of the same year. I'm looking to buy the F350 of the same year, but the only thing that worries me is the mpg. I have been looking around for a powerstroke for quite some time that has not been over hauled with mods, or beaten on, or used as a heavy work truck. I came across this today, I hope you guys could help me out.
2000 Ford F-350 XLT 4x4 * 7.3L Powerstroke Turbo DIESEL Only 91-K Mile
It's from a dealer, so I feel safer buying it.
I read up on a few posts on here and other Ford forum sites about these trucks getting around 12 mpg city and one even said he is close to 10.2 city and 13 high way with a stock 2002 f-250, is there anything I should be worried about with buying a diesel?
Those numbers seem ridiculously low and if that's the average prices for one, I might not get it.
I also read a guy getting 25mpg high way, and 19 city. Are these stock numbers?
Any help would be greatly appreciated, again, I do know a few things concerning the diesel trucks, but nothing in depth.
Thanks for your help!

·
1,097 Posts
As she sits, I'd expect 14-15.

The automatic and the 4x4 hurt your MPG.

·
1,097 Posts
14-15 in mixed (urban/suburban), rural roads, Interstate driving.

That's what I was referring to.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
if you're getting a diesel and you're getting gas mileage I'd call your BBB and report that crappy car dealership....but in all honesty 7.3's get pretty decent mileage.

Chad

·
Registered
282 Posts
I'm new to the site, but this is not my first ford truck.
I own a ford f150 of the same year. I'm looking to buy the F350 of the same year, but the only thing that worries me is the mpg. I have been looking around for a powerstroke for quite some time that has not been over hauled with mods, or beaten on, or used as a heavy work truck. I came across this today, I hope you guys could help me out.
2000 Ford F-350 XLT 4x4 * 7.3L Powerstroke Turbo DIESEL Only 91-K Mile
It's from a dealer, so I feel safer buying it.
I read up on a few posts on here and other Ford forum sites about these trucks getting around 12 mpg city and one even said he is close to 10.2 city and 13 high way with a stock 2002 f-250, is there anything I should be worried about with buying a diesel?
Those numbers seem ridiculously low and if that's the average prices for one, I might not get it.
I also read a guy getting 25mpg high way, and 19 city. Are these stock numbers?
Any help would be greatly appreciated, again, I do know a few things concerning the diesel trucks, but nothing in depth.
Thanks for your help!
Not knocking all dealerships but unless they are giving you a warranty on a used 2000 SD that could be a false sense of security... The Guys i work with that have the 7.3's say they get anywhere from 14-20 mpg average with the higher numbers being with stock tires and no lift :ford:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh go for it, I know used car dealerships try pulling peoples pants down over any price. With a 3 month warranty jut to get rid of the car. Happened to be couple years back.
Hoping to get it at a cheaper price though.

·
Exploding the magma
581 Posts
I typically see in the 16.5-18 range with a good mix of driving (everything from bumper to bumper traffic to state roads to highway). Keep it stock ride height, fresh fluids, good air pressure in the tires and adjust the nut behind the wheel and these things aren't that bad. The more time the engine spends over 2000 rpms the worse your fuel economy will be. Under that and you can pull off some impressive MPG, over that the engine reminds you it is 444ci with 8 holes in the block.

Unless you have done some serious mods (like lower ride height, removing stuff) 25 mpg is not going to happen. The best tank I ever got was like 20.5 mpg or so.

·
Registered
31 Posts
At stock height with factory size tires i would expect 15-17 being a single cab 4x4 auto.

I get 14-16mpg mixed driving with my crew cab long bed 4x4 6-speed with a small lift, heavy replacement bumpers, and 35" tires.

I had a supercab longbed auto with the same bumpers, larger lift, and 37" tires. I got about 12mpg on a good day out of that truck.

This will likely get better mileage than your 4.6/5.4 F-150 but its no economy car like some people will tell you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts