Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 F-250 with 120k miles on it. I was wondering what cold air system is the "best" to buy. What provides the most HP or fuel economy?

·
Freak'n know it all
3,004 Posts
none of do jack for mpg or hp ... I know all the manufacturers claim they do but they are like sheep.... sheep lie

instead of looking for the best look for the cheapest good one

There is a pretty popular intake setup on here which is a napa part number and a piece of pvc.... someone else will post it up

I have an afe stage 2 that I installed at the same time as a 4" mandrel bent exhaust from the turbo back. From stock I gained absolutely nothing... same fuel mileage same power maybe a little reduction in egt's but nothing dramatic

The real gain was a synthetic filter.... no oil and takes 30 seconds to clean it. Also the intake and exhaust are needed to support power mods in the future.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I had a S&B intake system and sold it and went to the napa 6637... like the big open element filter setup over the sealed intake.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Search on Napa 6637 or Tymar mod, here and on Google.

I just did the 6637 change and it feels a little more peppy than my AIS did. But my AIS filter was dirty so it might just be that.

·
Registered
418 Posts
i went with the 6637 air filter on my truck, just put iton 2 days ago. it made a huge difference for me. The truck spools up alot faster and i can hit 10 psi just drving normally and the turbo whistles a little more. Of course.................with a little gas she"ll make more.:D

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Best..either a DYI using all the parts or just get a Tymar kit..

·
<-- it's like that
6,567 Posts
Like the others have said, an intake won't really do too much for MPG's.

There are several options that were posted up... the DIY with the 6637 filter (or the Tymar which is a similar setup, but sold as a complete kit rather than piecing it all together), or an intake setup like the AFE or S&B, or going with the Ford AIS (an upgrade heavy duty intake and filter that fits like it was factory installed). Any one of these are good, and the biggest differences are going to be maintenance, noise, and cost. Many of these setups can help a bit with EGT's too.

The Tymar and the DIY are the cheapest. They do filter very well, and many people like the looks of a huge filter in the engine bay. The drawback is that these are the noisiest setups. So if you like hearing turbo and engine noise, it's great. If you don't, you might not like it as much.

The Ford AIS is a severe duty filter. It's expensive, and the filters are more pricey than stock replacements. However, these filters do last a long time, and trap a ton of dirt. These are also very quiet setups, and will keep noise levels same as stock.

The others like AFE, S&B, etc. do a good job at filtering, and most come with a shield around the filter. These aren't quite as noisy as something like the Tymar or DIY, but they aren't as quiet as stock either. Some of these setups are pricey, but most come with reusable filters, so the lifetime cost of the setup is somewhat lower than those that require new replacement filters.

That's the short and skinny of it. Take your pick.

Me personally, I've run the stock setup, the DIY, and now currently run an AFE Stage II with the Proguard7 filter. I personally prefer the AFE simply because I don't have to buy new filters, and it's slightly quieter than the DIY. Other than that, there's really no difference between the DIY and the AFE in terms of performance.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I don't have a hotrod but tow a heavy trailer and I went with the AIS. It filters really good & they last a long time. I also addd the fender sleeve.

·
Black Stroker
1,187 Posts
I have a K&N but lots of people don't like them but i have never had an issue out of it but i were to buy a different on i would do afe stage 2 or the 6637

1 - 9 of 9 Posts