Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got this ambulance with 130K its a great rig. i changed the oil air filters and fuel filter. After i changed the fuel filter it now idles high. when i step on the break the idle goes to normal. With my foot of the break the idle goes up in about 30 seconds. This only started after replacing the fuel filter. Ive searched all over for the cause and cannot find it. SOS!!

·
Native Texan
9,071 Posts
check the ebrake ambulances have a fast idle tied to the ebrake.

I was born into Gobernment health care. And will die in Gobernment Health care. God Bless Our Military Men And Women.

·
Native Texan
9,071 Posts
I have been working on ford ambulances for the last 11 and a half years. Including the wonderful 6oh e series.

I was born into Gobernment health care. And will die in Gobernment Health care. God Bless Our Military Men And Women.

·
Project Shamu
2,860 Posts
I have been working on ford ambulances for the last 11 and a half years. Including the wonderful 6oh e series.

Poor guy lol

Reactions: masakimm

·
Registered
4,947 Posts

Thankfully the department I work for doesn’t buy the E series diesels. F series only. Rescues are all I work on, all ford diesels.

As stated the parking brake is tied into a high idle function on a rescue. The truck may also have an automatic high idle function to warm the engine until it reaches a certain temperature.

·
Native Texan
9,071 Posts
Thankfully the department I work for doesn’t buy the E series diesels. F series only. Rescues are all I work on, all ford diesels.

As stated the parking brake is tied into a high idle function on a rescue. The truck may also have an automatic high idle function to warm the engine until it reaches a certain temperature.
all ours are f series now. i have 8 6.7l 450s now

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
We have 6 6.7s (2 350 drw, 1 450 and 3 550s). Also have 1 international 4300 with maxxforce DT, plus 4 6.0 reserve trucks and 1 6.4 reserve. I’m soley responsible for all them ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thx for the info Idis have the ebrake on.

What’s wrong with the e-series I kinda like it?
I don’t work on them all day so I don’t have a lot of experience.

check the ebrake ambulances have a fast idle tied to the ebrake.

·
Service before Self
2 Posts
Is the brake light on on the dash? These guys are right. The high idle system is tied into the e-brake depending on manufacturer. Problem is if something is wrong with the brake system it will also trigger the high idle... and if the dash light is burned out you won’t be able to to tell. Also sometimes the spring goes bad and even though you think the e brake is off it’s still on a little bit... and finally there is nothing wrong with the e-series. Mechanics just hate working on them because everything is a PITA to get to, I own 4 of them in my service and love them... best trucks on the road. Fk a 6.0, 6.4 or a 6.7...

·
Service before Self
2 Posts
Oh and one more thing. IF you just can’t figure out the above (brake stuck on, fluid level low, whatever is causing the dash brake light circuit to illuminate) you can find the high idle / PTO box and just disconnect it. It’s black, has 4 square and one round button that says ford on it and a digital display that shows engine RPM, etc. it is usually either mounted near the emergency light switch panel or down in the center console or under the driver or passenger seat post. Find the gray connector on the side of it and just unplug it...

·
Native Texan
9,071 Posts
I want one of those for my 7.3l. i wonder if the one on a 6oh is the same.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts