Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently picked up a 2000 Ford F350 auto XLT ext. cab long box. Im new to the superduty 7.3s as I just got rid of my 95' 7.3, and have a few questions.

Looking to get some more power out of my truck cause I drive 12 hours to work in the oil rigs and would like the drive to be a little more enjoyable. My truck has 400,000kms on it and the transmission shifts great.. what kind of mods can I do to my truck before i would have to upgrade the trans. thinking of a chip, maybe some injectors, tymar intake and 5" straight pipe exhaust.

What does everyone think of the CTS or CS Edge Juice w/ Attitude chip setup? better than the TW Chip? Is there any trans programmers I could get to handle the new power?

Ive heard there are conversion kits to put an 03 or newer kind of grill and headlight setup on these trucks.. is that true? if so any links?

Appoligize if these questions have already been answered elsewhere, I cannot find them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, that answered alot of questions.. not overly to sure what the hutch and harpoon mod is? whats the best chip to get for my truck? the CTS would be the best IMO cause it would monitor all the temp, boost and egt levels so I wouldnt have to buy guages and alow me to put more $$ away for the trans.. or is the TW the best out there for these superdutys

·
FORD..THE ROCK CRUSHER
2,350 Posts
99-04 all have the same lights..just swap them out..to run the 05-07 you need to cut the header like this or buy a new header
PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum - View Single Post - gettin ready to install 05 headlights can i get a diagram?
im running 05 harley lights in my 99..
add gauges to your list..pyro,boos and trans temp..then pick a vendor and get your self some custom tunes...

i think you will find the power your looking for and the truck will be safe..here some info about some of the tuners
PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum - View Single Post - 6 position chip purchase?????

·
Metal - It kicks your ass
3,090 Posts
Thanks, that answered alot of questions.. not overly to sure what the hutch and harpoon mod is? whats the best chip to get for my truck? the CTS would be the best IMO cause it would monitor all the temp, boost and egt levels so I wouldnt have to buy guages and alow me to put more $$ away for the trans.. or is the TW the best out there for these superdutys
For the hutch and harpoon mod visit Guzzles Mod Page. I don't know the direct link so google it and it should bring you right to it.

If you really want to do things right the first time DONT get a CTS or anything like it for that matter. The only thing that is acceptable is a custom tuned TS style chip. These are far superior to any other chip, programmer, downloader, box, tuner, etc...

Buy gauges to keep an eye on the vitals. Boost, pyro, trans (auto only) are the usual. Go as far as you would like but those three will cover you pretty good.

Exhaust and intake is needed due to the fact that the factory equipment sucks azz, especially if you are going to be adding HP via chip.

For the trans a good VB (john wood or BTS) and TQ (precision, John wood, suncoast) should be plenty until you start adding more power.

And TW chips are not the only thing available besides Edge. If you want a TW chip get it, it's much better than an Edge, banks, hypertech, diablow, and so on. Keep in mind though that there are many other tuners to choose from like Swamps, Beans, PHP, Gearhead, Elite, DI, Tyrant, so on and so on.

Modding these trucks aren't cheap and fixing them isn't either so your best bet would be to do it right the first time.

My advice would be to NOT RUSH. Stick around here, ask questions, take these guys' advice because there is nobody better to ask. Don't listen to guys that drive duramax's and cummins. Read, read, read, read, then read some more. See what everyone else is running and build your setup based on what you've learned. Don't just jump in and start buying things that 6 months from now you'll be trying to sell on craigslist because you didn't get the right thing from the get go.

If you have any other questions ask away. Guys here will be happy to help.

Good luck and good modding.

·
Registered
486 Posts
A CTS can be used to monitor everything and anything you will need and will not clutter your pillar like gauges will. You don't have to get the programmers or anything that go with it. Everything you can monitor through the OBD port the CTS can as well. Also clears and reads trouble codes as well. Look into it...IMO much better than gauges.

·
Metal - It kicks your ass
3,090 Posts
A CTS can be used to monitor everything and anything you will need and will not clutter your pillar like gauges will. You don't have to get the programmers or anything that go with it. Everything you can monitor through the OBD port the CTS can as well. Also clears and reads trouble codes as well. Look into it...IMO much better than gauges.
true true... didn't think about that. I like the look and feel of gauges though, more of a personal preference. To scan the OBD I bought a scan gauge, again because I like the look of gauges.

·
Paul
160 Posts
The down side of reading boost through the OBD port is the map sensor is easily maxed out and won't read higher boost levels.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.