Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine has a 2000 F-250 with a 7.3, a few days ago he was driving down the road and said it made a "funny" noise and died. We pulled it in and when I tried to start it, it acted like it was locked up, however you could turn it over very slowly with a ratchet on the crank. Upon further investigation I found that the bottom o-ring on the #3 injector had blown out and allowed fuel to run into the cylinder, which in turn hydrolocked the motor. When this happened the bolts in the injector hold down broke off and it pushed the injector up out of its bore a little ways. It also blew a little hole in the end of the glow plug and knocked the center out of it allowing fuel to run up through the glow plug and into the engine. At this point I wouldve bet pretty heavily that there would have been significant damage to the #3 cylinder from its rather abrupt halt.

Figuring that I didn't have much to lose, I replaced the o-rings on the #3 injector and reassembled. When I tried to restart it, the HPOP wouldn't generate more than 250 psi, I attributed this to the heavily thinned oil, so I changed the oil, including sucking oil out of the high pressure resevoir and refilling with new, clean 15-40. I tried to start it again and it generated 450 psi rather quickly and fired up. To my suprise it sounded healthy seemed to run good.

I reassembled everything and went to fire it up for a test drive. It took a significant amount of cranking for it to attain enough pressure to start, but eventually fired up but was running poorly and blowing an obscene amount of blueish smoke. I attributed this to air in the High Pressure Oil System and attpempted to take it for a drive to purge air from the system. I was only able to drive it about a mile, the high pressure oil system was generating about 1200 psi and it died and wouldnt restart. While cranking this time it would only generate 45-50 psi.

I replaced the IPR thinking that I might get lucky, not my day to buy a lottery ticket. Now while cranking it will generate about 250 psi and won't fire. I took the valve covers back off and watched for oil leaking up around the injectors or leaking out by the plugs in the head, I can't see anything leaking.

My question is- Am I missing something or is it time for a new HPOP?

Thanks and sorry for the long rambling post

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
How much blow by do you have?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Blow by doesnt seem excessive. Can you hook a pressure gauge up to one of the HPOP lines and see if that will build pressure? Im thinking this would tell you if the problem is with the pump or a leak down issue in the head/injector o-rings? Or would this not be an accurate test of the HPOP?

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Yes it will, I believe you have to block off the other one at the same time. Might be wrong on that though.

·
Headwind Magnet
626 Posts
If you want to build a mechanical gauge to check HPOP pressure, go to Swampsdiesil.com, click on the FAQ tab and the click on the tab for checking HPOP output. You'll find instructions and a materials list.

Do you have access to a scanner to check the icp sensor operation?
Best,
Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts