Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my buddy bought this truck and dropped it off at my house 6-8 monthes ago. I messed with it a little and got to busy to deal with it. So today we decided to work on it. Bare with me here we used what we had. . Fixed a fuel leak on bowl. I posted on here earlier this year when we worked on it. I could get it to start with but it ran really rough and smoked bad. So we pulled injectors, swapped with known good ones from a 96, truck has an adreniline hpop. Truck had all AA injectors but cyl 2 and 3 had AB injectors. I used the old injectors out of 96 old orings and all. The truck started and ran well good enough we got to drive it for the first time. Trans was not shifting so we got to my shop topped off fluid and off we went. Truck seem to be clearing out starting to smoke less. Let of the fuel to go around a curve and she died. Turns over but wont hit a lick. Put my scanner on and oil pressure would not get over 40Psi. Any ideas. Think I blew an oring on injector?

·
super tuner
164 Posts
hpop failed i would think, if your not getting over 40 psi cranking. i think you need atleast 50 or 55 lbs to pop the injectors but i cant remember.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeh I really dont know what to do next. The truck was bought not running, heard all kinds of stories of what has been done to it. I was thinking maybe try and figure out what I was making for oil pressure with a real gauge. I dont know was hoping for some ideas.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Pretty sure the HPOP needs to be around 400-500 psi to get the injectors to fire. Is there oil in the HPOP reservoir?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hpop was about an inch from the top. I was kinda bad it was finally getting hot enough to burn all the oil off. I did notice cranking on it when I had no oil pressure on my scanner I didnt have any on the truck gauge. I went out last night after it cooled and tried again. I now have pressure per truck gauge but still less than 40 on scanner.

·
KyleMaras7.3LPowerstroke
19 Posts
That just happened to my 02' 7.3. The IPR (injector pressure regulator) valve went bad. Your fuel system runs off oil pressure and when that goes bad it tells the system its lacking oil pressure which in turn is a fail safe and kills the engine. Its located behind and at the bottom of the fuel filter bowl. It screws in with i think it was a 13/16 wrench.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
So my buddy bought this truck and dropped it off at my house 6-8 monthes ago. I messed with it a little and got to busy to deal with it. So today we decided to work on it. Bare with me here we used what we had. . Fixed a fuel leak on bowl. I posted on here earlier this year when we worked on it. I could get it to start with but it ran really rough and smoked bad. So we pulled injectors, swapped with known good ones from a 96, truck has an adreniline hpop. Truck had all AA injectors but cyl 2 and 3 had AB injectors. I used the old injectors out of 96 old orings and all. The truck started and ran well good enough we got to drive it for the first time. Trans was not shifting so we got to my shop topped off fluid and off we went. Truck seem to be clearing out starting to smoke less. Let of the fuel to go around a curve and she died. Turns over but wont hit a lick. Put my scanner on and oil pressure would not get over 40Psi. Any ideas. Think I blew an oring on injector?
You need at least 500 psi for the PCM to want to start. If on the scanner the HPoil is at 40psi.. that's engine oil pressure. It would take more than an Injector o-ring to drop it to 40 while cranking. Look at the IPR. It could have stuck open and is not holding pressure.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I figure ipr, I went out this morning it hit close to a 100 psi cold on scanner. I shot it with either and got it to start. I runs cold ok now but as soon gets up to temp it will not idle well and just dies. I assume I dont have enough oil pressure to fire injectors is why Im dieing. I think I will pull Ipr and also will change oil it seems way black and thin. The truck still has a pretty good haze of smoke coming of exhuast. I think will a bad cylinder or two it would still run. Not with low oil pressure though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Unplug ICP at idle, see if engine smoothes out. If you unplug the ICP the PCM sends full pressure to the injectors, If the idle smooths out you need a new ICP, if not ,then you most likely need IPR orings or just clean it...

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will try that. I think I am going to pull the ipr out I have new orings for it.

·
KyleMaras7.3LPowerstroke
19 Posts
I re-read your post and and thought, just before my ipr went out, a couple days before i fixed a fuel bowl leak as well. Wierd??

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yeah..someone please chime in here... I finally got my truck to start about a month ago, drove it for about 12 miles parked it in my driveway....let it sit for two days, tried to start it and found out my starter was done. I ordered a new reduction gear denso and now it cranks like its on steroids, but it wont start... I sprayed a little either, yes I know its bad, but I dont know what else to do!! Anyway, it still didnt start... it just burns off the either and dies... What is going on?? I just replaced the fuel pump thats what was causing it not to run before. Someone help! Please!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I left the truck alone for awhile. We changed the oil so we knew what we had. I hooked up the scanner and cranked it a bit. Well we got 100psi and of course no start. I have the orings for the ipr I guess that is the next try.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts