Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first and foremost I’m new to these forums and might i add i do enjoy everyone’s help that i have found so far. Great site full of great people. About a month or two ago i was on my way home got stuck in traffic. Sat there for about an hour or so. When we started to move, i didn’t! Lol. On my way to the destination she seemed a bit sluggish up hills which was odd to say the least But made it no problem. After I realized she had puked fluid everywhere I Feathered the throttle enough to get to about 50 to get her off the interstate to call a tow truck (maybe a mile or so) after i stopped at a gas station in. BFE it was still pouring fluid out. Towed it home and it seems like I’ve been trying to chase a circle. So Here’s what I did.
pulled The pan and cleaned the magnet. Had some shavings but no chunks. Filled with new fluid and started it. Did the cycle procedure and had strong Reverse. But still not much forward movement. If i turn OD off and put it in 1st it will slowly creep but if I give it some gas it feels like it’s slipping. If I put it in drive with OD on it will slowly creep at 1500 rpm. If I turn it off it bucks and acts stupid.
I read about the feed blot issue so after work yesterday I dropped the pan and had shavings all over the magnet again with dark fluid and didn’t even have 1 mile on the truck.... is it my pump? Tc? Clutches? I’m lost but need to get this thing fixed! Any and all help will be appreciated. And sorry if i have this posting in the wrong spot. Still trying to find my way around this site

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also forgot to add the truck has No tuner. No chip. It has a 3” lift in the front 4” lift in the back 35x12.5x20s, I’m not sure on brand of exhaust as it was on there when I picked it up. Also while working on it yesterday it seems like my thermostat has failed. So the coolant in the radiator isn’t getting warm at this point. Will do a flush and a new tstat this week.

·
Administrator
8,240 Posts
@Mark Kovalsky would know better than me. But sounds like you over heated it somehow and its trashed. But mark might know if it's something else.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That’s what I’m worried about. I can put new fluid in it. Run it at idle for 20-30 minutes cycling gears as I add fluid and it burns it. Worried about it being the clutch packs. Hopeful it’s the pump lol

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,077 Posts
If I put it in drive with OD on it will slowly creep at 1500 rpm.
That is a perfect way to wipe out a clutch. After you did that I really don't see the point of any further diagnosis. If it wasn't dead before it certainly is now.

Pull it out and rebuild or replace it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So do you think my lift/wheel set up had anything to do with it? Is the 4r100 a difficult rebuild? i Have more time than money currently and with my truck down I don’t have a way to make side work. unfortunately I didn’t have a way to have it towed from where I was. In the middle of a 4 lane highway and AAA wouldn’t dispatch a truck without an address. I had a bad feeling I was going to burn the clutches out moving it to the next exit. My other question moving into this rebuild, what are some things I can do to “bullet proof” this transmission? I figured valve body’s would be good to upgrade but I don’t want the weak point to be anything internal since I’ll be pulling it in my driveway. Should I be worried about the planetary gears, pump or tc? Will definitely be replacing the seal front and rear lol!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts