Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just put a new engine in a friends 2000 f450. My question is how long should I have to crank to get it to fire? The batteries were low so I could only get a few seconds at a time before the charger couldn't keep up. After about the tenth time of a 5 or 6 second spurt I finally got oil pressure. Then maybe 10 more times and started to see a little smoke out the tailpipe. But tried maybe 6 or 7 more times and nothing. I gave up for tonight and left the batteries on trickle charge for the night. And also checked the fuel bowl before I left, it was only half full. Does all of them is sound normal? Is there any tips to getting it all primed? .... Also I did an injector buzz test and all was good.The engine I put in is a 96, new heads and the 2000 injectors. Thanks for any help.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
I would think fuel bowl needs to be full...maybe just cycle the key a few times without cranking.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The key was cycled a lot, kind of makes me wonder if its sucking air?! I know whenever I check the bowl on my 96 its completely full.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
After an engine install, you should always fill the HPOP res, and either fill the fuel bowl manually or cycle the key several times to let the pump fill it. Even after all that, it will still take a while to get all the oil passages and fuel lines filled.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm headed back in there now to try it again. Will let you know how it went.

·
Bobs 7.3
2,852 Posts
A good steady 10 to 15 second crank should fire it up now that its been primed up so many times. If its below 35 degrees it helps to plug it in and get the block warm before cranking.

·
Bobs 7.3
2,852 Posts
Keep in mind If the batteries are old and junk (load test unhooked to know for sure) it may not fire up at all due to not having enough amps to run everything.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok so I feel a little dumb here. Thanks for the help but turns out to be the feed and return fuel line were swapped. Switched them and it fired within 20 seconds. It sounded like complete crap for about 15 minutes and then smoothed out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now onto my truck which has been gelled up in my driveway for the past 3 days. So much cracking I think it killed the starter. Or possibly batteries. No way to really tell because all of my tools are 15 miles away. #winterinwisconsin

·
Bobs 7.3
2,852 Posts
charge the batteries, and change the starter if bad, pull the fuel filter and install a new filter and fill the bowl with 50 kero/50 diesel, Dump 5 gallons of kero in the fuel tank and let all it sit for about 3 hrs and then it will start. Works every time. kerosene eats the gel away pretty quick and it wont ever regel if you run 75% diesel/25% kero in the winter. Ive never had a gel problem in over 6 years. It will also help to plug the heater in before you start and keep it plugged in till it fires up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Never heard of the kerosene thing! Interesting. I have a maniac gear reduction starter. Pulled it last night and took it apart. Its suprizingly simple. Cleaned all the brushes and connections. Turned over like crazy after that and fired up finally. That could have been my problem all winter, just not enough rpms from the starter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts