Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 F250, I am the original owner. Truck is completely stock and has 176,300 mile on it. The EGR cooler and oil cooler have never been replaced. When monitoring my temps via a Scangauge 2 I run around 192 ECT and 201 EOT.

Question 1 is when an EGR cooler/Oil Cooler goes bad would the would I see a gradual separation of these numbers or a jump.

Question 2 is when towing my 5th Wheel (11,000lbs) what are the max temps I can see before I should be concerned. I think I read EOT of 250/255 is ok, but anything over that I should pull over and let it cool. Is this correct?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
those oil temps are really high IMO. That is about the point at which the PCM will defuel. If those are your temps towing, change the oil cooler and delete or replace the EGR cooler.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have not towed yet with my Scangauge installed, so I don't have any idea what my temps will be. The question was just a general one as to if you were towing at what point would you slow down or pull over to let the temps cool down?
I have no coolant loss and no other signs of trouble, just curious as to safe max temps.

Thanks
Joe

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm no 6.0 expert, But from what i've read

Any thing 15* difference is bad news, Get your cooler changed ASAP!

Any thing below 10* difference you can try to flush your system out.

As for " how far would you push it? "

I'd pull over roughly 230* EOT ?! I never like to push things to the limit, At those temps everything else gets crispy too. Wiring harness, Oil filter housing. And the fluid break down for oil is drastically reduced.

I can't find a fancy chart to show you, but the same nature applies to transmission fluid. At hotter temperatures, it cannot do it's job properly.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Just a matter of time before your egr cooler blows. When it does it will blow white smoke and burn up your coolant fast. Do a coolant flush use the right coolant install a coolant filter do the egr delete with down pipe. And a new Ford oil cooler.

·
Jackleg Mechanic
881 Posts
I think your temps are within acceptable levels but need to be monitored. And if I was pulling my camper I wouldn't let ect stay above 225 for very long. At that point I'd be looking for ways to bring it down. And I'd stop working it soon after it hit 230.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts