Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at up grading my front door speakers to some infinities. They are 2 ohm vs the 4 ohm I have in there now. Will I have to change any wiring or adjustments or can I just pop them in? The amp I have says it will handle 2 or 4ohm. Thanks

·
WWDD
10,531 Posts
thats a trick question, you need to know what the amp is rated for at that particular ohm so say [email protected] ohm is different than [email protected] ohm, so is the wiring, pretty hard to explain, check this link out, rockford fosgate explains things pretty well, but as for door speakers i may not matter cuz your not pushin huge amounts of power.

Rockford Fosgate - Woofer WiringWizard

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Amp is rated for 80Wx4 RMS at 2 ohms. I'll read the link and see what I can learn, thanks
See I dont get the part where you jumper the + and - together. Also am I going to have problems with the rear speakers being 4 ohm and the fronts being 2 ohm powered by the same amp?

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
that wiring wizard is for Subwoofers (obviously can work for anything though) but you won't be wiring up speakers in parallel or series, at least not on common builds.

Main difference will be that the power going to the speakers will double as the load is cut in half. Just need to double check and make sure your amp is stable for a 2ohm load, which most are as long as your not bridging channels. If say your amp is rated at 50w or something higher than the speakers RMS rating then just keep the gain conservative.

Should be good on the splitting. I forget the specs on your amp, but are their 2 gain nobs?? This will allow you to split the front and the rears through the amp and set the gains appropriately for the 2 different speakers and be able to level match them. Might have to keep the gain lower on the fronts to match the rears if you wish to keep them at relatively the same volume.

I know you got a speaker amp, but in this case if you were planning on powering them off the HU it would be a No Go as the HU amps are not 2ohm stable.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Should be fine. I've read they are more like 2.7 ohm, so factor in wiring resistance and the load will be over 3 ohms.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Make sure your amp will can run at 2 ohms. speaker impedance actually changes as the speaker goes up and down its spectrum. I would rather run at 4 ohms because that cuts the power to the speaker a bit but raises the dampening factor of the amp. DF is the amps ability to control the amps coming out it. yes there is less power but the power is more controlled and will sound more precise at higher ohms. Now, will you notice the difference in a diesel running down the road? No. But if it sounds muddy or blurry, consider that is possibly a contributing factor.

micky

1 - 6 of 6 Posts