Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear alot about guys adding 2 cycle oil to help clean the diesel fuel and for mpgs. Has anybody done this and has it let to any problems wih injectors or anything else? Also what was the results as far as smotther running engine and mpgs increasing? What kind of oil(be precise please) and how much do you add? I have a 40 gallon tank....tell me what yall think and how it has hurt or helped you!!!!!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I had read on here about adding 2 cycle oil and started doing so last fall. One once per gallon of the walmart oil. I feel it has quieted the injectors down as it replaces the lubrication lost when refining the fuel down to ultra low sulfur. I have had no issues to date and will continue to add at fillups. I thought I had read it was bad for the emmisions on newer trucks. Currently I think I am around 17 mpg. I should be filling up this weekend and will know for sure.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I used to run it in my 99 24v Cummins. It helped the mileage. Gave me about 2 or more mpg better than anything else. I am running very low on my Schaeffer DT 2000 and was wondering about 2 cycle again. I was running Valvoline Multi-purpose and running at a quart a tank, which was 38 gallons or so.

Valvoline.com Multi-Purpose 2-Cycle Engine Oil

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how many miles have yall been doing this.....anybody done it on a newer model like 2003-2009...mine is a 2006 6.0 350

·
brandon
778 Posts
When running it I never saw any mpg changes but it did seem to smooth out at idle with it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
how many miles have yall been doing this.....anybody done it on a newer model like 2003-2009...mine is a 2006 6.0 350
Remember, I was running a Cummins, but.......I ran it a year or so, so maybe 20-25k miles? No issues. Switched to Schaeffer Diesel Treat 2000 after that. Got much the same mileage and the jug was easier to store in the tool box. I don't give a rats azz what anyone says about the mileage...my calculator didn't lie to me.:doh: It easily gained at least 2mpg on a Dodge Cummins over straight diesel. That was pulling 10k in the hills, too. Have yet to try it on the PSD I am running now. I will say this...the Schaeffer isn't doing as well with the PSD as it did with the Cummins. No mileage difference at all. Transmission fluid did as well or better, IMO. Its quite possible the two stroke won't react the same as it did in the 5.9 Cummins. My CAT and M-11 Cummins didn't really care for it either.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
are you gonna try it in your psd Diesel Avenger???

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'll try it soon. I have a trip coming up where I can run two back to back and compare the mpg's and everything else. Probably go down with Schaeffer and come back with the two stroke. I'm not going to hold my breath, though. Even when new, my PSD's never got as good in the MPGs as my other trucks. :(

Cost is another consideration. Schaeffer DT is costing me less than 2 bucks a fill up. I haven't priced the oil of late, but I would bet its going to be more.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
10 4 avenger...how much do you add...ive got a 40 gallon tank!!! is the kind you use ashless....i see some people say make suer its ashless

·
Registered
166 Posts
I will probably just run it like I do the trans fluid. Half a bottle in the front and half in the back, full quart total. Mine is 38 gals., so I don't see an issue with a full quart in yours. Couldn't hurt to try anyway. Yes, its ashless...TC-W3. As long as it conforms to that spec, you are good.

·
Registered
166 Posts
How do you know that?? TC-W3 is a rating for 2 stroke engines. Your truck engine could care less that it is TC-W3 rated.
Really? Reading comprehension not a strong point I see. :rolleyes:

He asked if it was ashless. How do you find that out? By looking at the oil specs that are posted. TC-W3 is the low emission spec for most 2 cycle oils. Low emission = low to zero particulates which means in small words, low to no ash. :doh:

Brads96...I always ran a quart of trans fluid per fill up in my IDI....and still do. :D Half in the front tank, half in the back. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me this stuff would work better in an IDI than a PSD. Once my IDI is running better, I should try it as I am almost out of tranny fluid as well. Would be an interesting experiment. It may do nothing...then again, it may help. Only one way to find out.:D

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Not to be an a$$ but I have forgotten more about 2 stroke oil than you will ever know. As for dumping a 2 stroke oil in your fuel go right ahead dumping random things in your tank if it makes you sleep better at night.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Diesel avenger what's ur results on the tranny fluid I know I have heard my grandpa use and he is an old school mechanic but he has had a stroke and I don't think he remembers much since that was 20 years ago since he last drove his big rig and worked on anything

1 - 20 of 52 Posts