Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys my local pullers are looking to start up a 2.5 diesel truck pulling class. I run a 2000 7.3 that I have been building on and will continue to do so, which I drive an pull when I can.

Im looking to see if anyone is running a 7.3 in a 2.5 class with heavy mods...for example with 400/400 injectors or something wild like that.

I know the 7.3 requires a lot of air, however produce large amounts of exhaust which makes them relatively quick spooling especially with a small charger. Im not worried about egts, just is it going to be possible to make power with such a small charger. Cubic inch will be good for when it starts getting under a load at the end which is where most 2.5 trucks struggle, they completely run out of power and cant keep charger lit.

That being said im not sure if it will be either the unbeatable setup or still be the outdated 7.3, with a large enough exhaust housing egts will be better controlled but the small housing allows for easily available quick spooled boost.

Just looking for some input....I have seen trucks with 400/400 and s366 that has been tuned for that turbo which seem to lose power with having too much fuel, which also brings me to wonder if by limiting your injectors from fully unloading will that then hold you back from running high rpms and holding power throughout those rpms. If this class takes off id love to build a winning truck and even better it be a 7.3....Thanks in advance, I hope I don't get the usual answers I see from the guys that seem to think they know it all. Id sooner have guys with experience and the know how to make a 7.3 perform...we build our own pulling tractors and having winning tractors but that's a completely different animal.

Also I am not referring to the truck in my sig...and yes I realize its going to cost money but so will building a 6.4 or 6.0 let alone finding a truck that is fit to pull with for decent money, although I am looking to buy a 6.4 in the near future willing I find what im looking for.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I run a 7.3 in the 2.6 class. I have 400/400 injectors. I have no problem with spooling the turbo or keeping it lit. I have a 1.10 exhaust housing on it. My egts run 1800 to 1900. Not a top placing truck but getting there. Warren diesel has a 6.0 they run in the 2.6 class. He has won some pulls.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I run a 2.6 with a 7.3 350/200 EGTs run about 2200 plus

·
Banned
142 Posts
250/200's with an s463 do well together. It is easy to get on top of and is a fairly solid setup.
the t4 mount would be a good start and you could go bigger later if you really like pulling.

Edit: I warned you on the lift but I missed the part where you were not using the truck in your sig.

The 99 is good because it has the obs connecting rods but the newer 17 degree pump.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts