Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
The Unseen Mod
4,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I'm thinking of attending a pull back home never done it before curious to know what should I do before hand like tire pressure, what gear ? build boost to what ? 4hi or 4 lo ? what to look out for ? etc

·
Banned
1,110 Posts

One word of caution. Pulling will consume you, so once you start, its the worst drug out there.

For your truck, 4lo, floor it and steer.

·
Cummins Power
3,172 Posts
BB is that pullers anonomous link up yet. Talk about being comsumed.
Max the rears to rated pressure and drop the front 10 or 15.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I do tires around 30, 4 Low OD off, turn up the chip and put the pedal to the rugs.

No need to build boost, my truck seems to build it quick enough.

·
Registered
186 Posts
i am glad you posted this 250. and by the way i think this is directed more toward the 6.ohhhh crowd

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
Building boost doesn't work so hot for me either. Seems I just blow all 4 loose and get a slower start than if I get the sled moving and let the boost come on about 10' out.

Just take the slack out of the drivetrain with a few RPMS, release brake and mat it, go straight :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Regardless of what ya drive, tire pressure is variable on the track. Over time you'll figure out how your truck best reacts on tight/loose tracks and what to air to.

As for driving, some build boost, some don't. I try to get 10 psi ready, and roll it into the floor.

4 low, find the gear that works for you and kiss your savings goodbye. They're not lying. It's the greatest motorsport on the face of the earth :D

·
Not of this World
85 Posts
Since I was 2' tall I've loved pullin, finally did one in HS just before the Navy (finally had a truck to run). I think the Navy is all that stopped me from persuing it.
Now with more power I'm sooo tempted to start again, but every pull seems 2+ hours away and I'm worried about getting home if/when I break something. I've considered buying a cab/chassis w/ a rack as a hauler, atleast it would ensure I get home even if the pull truck is down. If I could find a local guy or two that wanted to team it, I'd probably go for it.
As stated, it is the greatest motorsport ever (offshore powerboat racing is a close second) and VERY addicting. I'd sign up for the pullers annonomous group awhile.:D

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I am kind of new to pulling but I go 4 low in 2nd and I do pretty damn good. Ease into it 'til about the 50-75 foot mark and then floor it. That is my recommendation

·
all ur OBS r belong to me
1,591 Posts
Well you want to get your hitch at the maximum allowable height. I tend to leave the back tires pumped up hard and only adjust the pressure in the front.

I leave the line with about 10psi unless the track is really loose. 4Lo in drive and then after it shifts second I pull it down into second gear so it doesn't try to shift 3rd.

With your big tires, I would say 4Lo and floor it like BB said.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts