Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
compresion ignition adict
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got done swapin the 1st gen 12v into my F350... has been runnin prety good up untill a few days ago. Started missing and stuttering randomly under load. Finaly the other day it started doing this and now it wont stop. Its also blowing white/blue/grey smoke when it starts up and when its missing. I checked to see if it was burrning oil.... no. I checked to see if it was burning coolant... no. I pressure tested and leak down tested the coolant system and its fine. I was told the other day that air in the fuel system or lack of fuel would cause this. The setup im running on my truck is the factory ford lift pump feeding through an aeromotive presure reg w/ gauge then to the cummins lift pump then on up to the injection pump. When i turn the key on im getting a regulated 19 psi until the pump kicks off. I checked the fuel filter and its spotless so i know its not alge or anything in the system. Im guesing that my cummins lift pump may have been overworked pulling through the regulator and the stock ford lift pump and killed it in the proccess. Anyone have any advice or input on the subject... :confused:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Brought your issue up with some first gen guys and this is what I got back:

"To start with, he needs to get a pressure reading from the filter into the injection pump.
I also think the dual fuel pump deal is causing an issue.

To eliminate the variable of the rear pump system, unhook the fuel supply line on the STOCK lift pump and plumb in a temporary fuel supply to it.

The excessive smoke is due to a lean condtion that causes poor combustion, usually associated with poor, or restricted, fuel pressure to the I/P.
More air than fuel causes a cooler fuel/air mixture that the engine can't efficiently combust, thus it smokes.
It burns like hell on the eyes, too.

Mark."

I was wondering about the dual fuel pumps in series as I know the 2nd Gens dont need an additional lift pump and the stock mechanical is good for 500hp. Hope this helps

·
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ended up removing the stock ford lift pump and i took the regulator off for the time being. I also instaled a new lift pump on the cummins and ran new lines. The truck runs much better but still has some white/blue smoke occasionaly... i bleed the injectors but i may do it again to see if there is some more air in the system. Im also currious if i have an injector that isnt popping off causing some of the smoke.

·
Registered
163 Posts
All original injectors? if so it sounds like they may be a little worn. Good news is its a great time to upgrade to some SDX 5x12.

·
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea there the orgional injectors... how much does a set of injectors like that cost???

·
Registered
163 Posts
With a core your looking at about $450.00, they are a rally clean burning injector, with a good spray pattern.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts