Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Bird is the Word
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking at a pair of trucks for better milege, and so i can finish building my E99 for a puller
Truck 1: 1999 F-350 regular cab, long bed, auto, 115K miles 373 rear end price tag is $10K
Truck 2: 1999 F-350 regular cab, long bed, 6 speed, 113K miles, 373 rear end price tag of $9K
both trucks are stock

which would average better milege stock. or which would be a better buy?

·
Bird is the Word
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i'd do an intake/exhaust and a chip. would 20+mpg be obtainable with either?

·
Registered
624 Posts
Id go with truck 2, cheaper, less mileage, and better mpgs with the 6 speed.

·
Bird is the Word
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
after pulling up both links, i realized that their close in milege. the 2nd truck is about an hour away from me currently. truck 1 is amost 2 hours away. both would be good mileged trucks

·
Registered
338 Posts
It should be obvious that the 6 speed will return better mpg and with a 10% lower asking price. Go for #2. We are assuming equal condition and options.

These trucks are 15 years old and condition can greatly effect the deal. Just needing tires and ball joints can be 1500$.

·
Bird is the Word
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i figured that the 6sp. woud net better mpg, but i haven't been around enough calculate the difference. their interiors are in very good condition from what the pictures showed. I'm going to sit on it for a couple of weeks and tlak to my banker and see what we can figure out. If truck #1 wasn't so far away then i'd be more upset, but truck 2 is alot closer and the 6 speed would be more fun LOL

·
Registered
338 Posts
I prefer manuals and had thought about conversion when my auto dies. But then I installed a PHP chip. The chip adds more power, keeps the mpg the same or slightly better, but the big diff is in trans shifting strategy. I now love the auto. It shifts exactly as it should, when it should, and with authority.

·
7.3 fan
271 Posts
keep in mind that the factory clutch is known to throw the springs around 130000 miles I replaced mine at 135xxx with a luk. truck now has 278xxx is a DD truck with a bully dog set at 75hp i get 19.5 with my HEAVY foot prob. get 22 IF I drove responsible. Naw that ain't gonna happen!

·
Bird is the Word
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i'd like to have a manual, but the auto would be easier and more efficient when it comes to accuracy mpg with a tuned chip.
In my E99 i can average roughly 17-19 with the way i drive. Now, before i added the turbo i was around the 17mpg range no matter how soft i drove, so i know i'll be able to get well over 20 once i get it custom tuned. And i got a buddy that has a trany shop, so he is able to get me a TC at a great price to atleast keep the trans a little stronger but it won't be necessary because i won't be needing speed or anythying like that. That's why i'm building another motor

·
Bird is the Word
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i know that tuning would be definately key to getting better mpg. I still haven't decided which one to go with that would best suit me and my needs.
going to sit on both of them for a few weeks and then maybe have enough funds towards the end of the summer.
Then definately adding a full 4" exhaust and an intake

·
1,097 Posts
Maybe tunes help if your truck is an egregious fuel hog. That being the case, maybe you have no way to go but up.

I've had special MPG tunes done by some of the most experienced tuners in North America. They gain me a whopping 0.75 MPG. I know from rigorous road testing.

If you think you can shade-tree these engines into being more efficient you are a fool. The factories have tweaked them out for maximum efficiency. You do not have the resources (dyno cells, instrumentation, etc) to outwit them.

The avenues available for increasing MPG are twofold: Decrease road load or decrease engine frictional losses.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts