Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!
18,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!

ok, so i've had a 'p1401 - dpfe voltage high' CEL for quite a while now. I'm thinking that the first time i filled the tank with e10 gas back in 2009 is what started it (back when they were pushing ethanol so hard around here).
only time i know of that i ran ethanol blend ever. (total accident! my mistake lol :eek: )
and it could be unrelated...idk lol

things i've tried: replaced dpfe, cleaned the 2 hoses & pins on harness plug, clean out egr valve best i could, fiddled with the vacuum hose connection lol
none of that worked.

unfortunately, taking off the egr tube from the exhaust AND from the back of the EGR valve have proven to be impossible without cutting out the tube & reinstalling a new one. basically i twisted a hole in the lower part of the tube trying to get it of the exhaust. opps lol!

the problem never seemed to impact performance in any way so far...

what's it take to realistically/effectively delete the egr on an old 4cyl engine like that? besides just blocking it off & living with the CEL lol!

edit: i've asked this on a dedicated Ford Ranger forum before, but i got a lot of hate from it haha!

·
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!
18,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, i tried turning the rusted on nut on the exhaust sid eof the egr tube. twisted a hole in the tube....

went ahead & bought a new tube, along with everything i need for a tuneup & intake/valve cover gasket replacement. should be fun!

thinking about getting an UltraGaugeII for the ranger. anybody have insight on using one before?

·
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!
18,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i can see how excited you guys are to hear about how this has developed! sooo, i went ahead & broke it down to below the valve cover. looked clean! so i replaced all gaskets & egr components and random hoses. and the oil lol

left the batt unhooked for a long time, so i'm hoping that i will see that the p1401 has gone. i still need to get the ultraguage lol

·
Registered
88 Posts
idk much about the egr issues with your truck but i figured i would show a little interest! by replying haha

·
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!
18,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Than You!!! hahaha! lol yeah, not a lot of attention over here lol

i'm stating to think that the solenoid that controls the vacuum to the egr valve is bad. finally figured out where it is while i was taking it all apart. should be an easy fix as long as it isn't expensive lol

·
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!
18,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i got the ultraguage to monitor codes, wound up replacing the dpfe (again) & vacuum solenoid, got a hand op vacuum pump to test the egr valve itself (it works)... still getting the p1401 on startup. <<<THAT let me to think that i've either got a short somewhere on the harness, or maybe a bad PCM.

i tested the reference V to the dpfe sensor, & it's getting 5 volts reffed to the ground. so sensor is getting good signal.

next up will be testing the signal back from dpfe. i just need to mock up a way to test the voltage from sensor OUT reffed to ground while KOER while opening & closing the EGR valve... closed it should read ~1V & full open it should red just under 5V.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts