Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,

I love my truck. it has been my project for the past year and will continue to be. Up until about a month ago I only drove it when I needed a truck. now it is my daily driver. It is a late 1999 F450 2wd 7.3 with the zf6 and 4.88 gears. Driving back and forth to work I try to keep between 50 and 55. 55 is 2100 rpm per the scangaue 2 or 2000 per the dash tach.

This spring I'm putting a locker and am thinking 4.10 gears at the same time. I may or may not switch. It pulls the camper and the gooseneck very well as it is.

Wonder about aerodynamic gains. I know the flatbed is not helping. wondering how much improvements I should see with a front air dam and any suggestions to the design of it. I know Dave has made a few. Sorry I do not want to ditch the big mirrors. just too handy.

Also wonder about adding skirting to the bed. I would like to add some toolboxes anyways.

Any thoughts

Edit I added a picture of the truck not sure if it is working properly

Attachments

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
What mileage are you seeing?
You may be getting all you can get already.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm around 13 to 14 average I think. I just fixed the filler neck last week. I was getting inconsistent fills so it was hard to tell. I had this same engine in my 250 and got 15-16 but that truck was lighter and 3.73 gears but less mpg friendly driving habits.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
For a 450, that's probably about the best you can get.
Gears will help, but it will take a very long time to see a breakeven point.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For a 450, that's probably about the best you can get.
Gears will help, but it will take a very long time to see a breakeven point.

Yes I agree. the only reason I am considering it as I will have the carrier out to replace with a locker.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Well that would be a good time to do it.
Going off memory, but I don't know if lower gears are available for the 10.5 (which is I think what you have)

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
4.10 won't be a real big difference.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
last 2 tanks
tank 1 either 15.2-15.5
tank 2 either 16.2-16.5

All 3 fills at the same station and pump.

I put a new fuel filter in before tank 1. not going to admit last time I did that but the engine was in a different truck last time it was changed.

I drove 51 to 53 most of the time. Trying hard to stay under 2000 rpm. Will run one more tank then drive 55-60 and see if it drops back down.

Fuel filler neck is installed on the flatbed. Not real happy with the results. Using first click it spits out a little fuel on the ground when it shuts off.

Sometimes when I start the truck I have no speedo or odometer for a mile or so. I calculated what the odometer said first then with the estimated additional miles. I have a new vss and harness to install hoping to fix this.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
4.10 won't be a real big difference.
Correct! In fact you would hardly notice the difference going from 4.1 to 4.88
Think of it as a clock face, 4.10 is like 5 after, 4.88 is 5 till or 55 after, so you are only changing 7/8 of a single rotation...that is alot of work and $$$$ for something that you will hardly even notice.
Consider 3.73 or 3.55...but then you lose some of your granny low pulling power from a dead stop

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I fixed my filler neck and picked a station to fill at. All of the fills on my list and the one before are at the same pump.

13.43 8000 LB trailer for most of tank. towing drove 65. filled on downhill
16.09 filled on downhill drove 50-53
17.29 filled on downhill drove 50-53
16.59 filled on downhill drove 50-53
14.66 filled on downhill drove 55-60 half and 65 rest.

Looks like I can get 16.5 on my daily driving if I keep it under 53 (2000 rpm). Now I am doing the same commute driving 55-60 to see the difference if any.

Dave I am looking for information on your air dam. Any thoughts about having it mounted in my front receiver? I thought that would be nice for removal to work on the truck in the future.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update. Driving back and forth to work 55-60mph over 2000 rpm I averaged 14.92 mpg over 2278 miles with 4.88 gearing. So far with the 4.10 gear swap I averaged 16.35 but only 822 miles so far. I will need to keep accumulating data. It is nice to be able to use 3rd in town. 123 is nicer than 1234 everytime I go from 0-30.

·
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!
18,844 Posts
This is a chart I made trying to decide if I want to change gears or not. I will be removing the stock carrier to install a Detroit locker this spring anyways.
lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts