Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck is a 1999 F350 DRW, 2wd with 328K on it. 4.10 rear end, 4R100 transmission, 4" turboback exhaust, Edge CS2 programmer with added EGT sensor and running the tow safe tune. Also am using the 6637 air filter. I regularly tow 6200 (empty) - 14,700 lbs.

There are many old threads out there about the 99 cracked flexplates, so I was able to track down the TSB 99-23-6 and determined that the engine adapter was not milled flat. Ford wants $347 for one, and of course it has to be ordered. I use my truck in a hot shot trucking business and am losing money as this truck sits. I found the cracked flexplate while tracking down a bad transmission leak which was from the front pump seal. Seems that whoever added the transmission cooler, didn't ADD it, they just moved the lines from the radiator cooler to a new external cooler. Now that summer heat is here and traffic around Atlanta is back to normal, the stop and go traffic apparently was more than the pump seal could handle. Adding fluid and testing with my 6200 LB trailer leads me to believe that the transmission and torque converter is ok. BTS cannot supply a replacement transmission until september. I am thinking of installing a 6.0 cooler, new filter, reroute the lines to include the radiator connections (should help when idling or in stop and go traffic); replace the flexplate, engine spacer, crankcase spacer and flywheel reinforcement plate; replacing the pump seal (viton) and bushing; and replacing the torque converter with the HD version. Has anyone taken their horseshoe engine spacer to a machine shop to have it ground flat? The maximum deviation I found is 0.010" Any advise about proceeding from here will be greatly appreciated. I am having difficulty locating parts in stock. The adapter from Ford can be here Tuesday. Summit has a flexplate I may go pick up today.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
I would take it to a machine shop.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
I also broke my flex plate on my 2000 f250. I assumed that it was due to excessive cranking in the winter with weak glowplugs and worn injectors. I never thought it was due to a manufacturing flaw. Are you going to change your rear main seal while youre in there?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Diablito, I hadn't planned on it as it's not leaking. Now that you mention it, I will look into what's involved. With my luck, it would start leaking and DOT would leave me out of service stuck somewhere with a loaded trailer. Hopefully I can pick up a third E99 and start a cycle of rebuilding engines before anything else major happens. I removed the up pipes yesterday and broke off one bolt in the collector. So far, I'm about half way through drilling a pilot hole thru the bolt. They sure are hard, and possibly harder after heating and spraying with WD40. Now I know why the RiffRaff version cost's about 100 more...they include the collector. I already ordered the cheaper version. Hindsight is 20-20.

Here's a link to a thread that includes the TSB: Flexplate E4OD - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

·
Project Shamu
2,858 Posts
If the rear main isn't leaking, DONT replace it. Several people have, only for them to leak immediately after.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
If the rear main isn't leaking, DONT replace it. Several people have, only for them to leak immediately after.
I think this is more of a installation error.
Don't get me wrong, see it on the forums all the time. But it can't be just "new seals are junk."

·
Project Shamu
2,858 Posts
I think this is more of a installation error.
Don't get me wrong, see it on the forums all the time. But it can't be just "new seals are junk."

I agree, it's just not a common thing to leak and I would rather leave it. if you replace it, theres probably a good chance it's going to leak, as it does (or should) require special tools, and most people dont have them, so they improvise and it leaks.

I speak from experience on a 2002 F450 that I owned a while back...

Reactions: 79jasper

·
Registered
3 Posts
My truck is a 1999 F350 DRW, 2wd with 328K on it. 4.10 rear end, 4R100 transmission, 4" turboback exhaust, Edge CS2 programmer with added EGT sensor and running the tow safe tune. Also am using the 6637 air filter. I regularly tow 6200 (empty) - 14,700 lbs.

There are many old threads out there about the 99 cracked flexplates, so I was able to track down the TSB 99-23-6 and determined that the engine adapter was not milled flat. Ford wants $347 for one, and of course it has to be ordered. I use my truck in a hot shot trucking business and am losing money as this truck sits. I found the cracked flexplate while tracking down a bad transmission leak which was from the front pump seal. Seems that whoever added the transmission cooler, didn't ADD it, they just moved the lines from the radiator cooler to a new external cooler. Now that summer heat is here and traffic around Atlanta is back to normal, the stop and go traffic apparently was more than the pump seal could handle. Adding fluid and testing with my 6200 LB trailer leads me to believe that the transmission and torque converter is ok. BTS cannot supply a replacement transmission until september. I am thinking of installing a 6.0 cooler, new filter, reroute the lines to include the radiator connections (should help when idling or in stop and go traffic); replace the flexplate, engine spacer, crankcase spacer and flywheel reinforcement plate; replacing the pump seal (viton) and bushing; and replacing the torque converter with the HD version. Has anyone taken their horseshoe engine spacer to a machine shop to have it ground flat? The maximum deviation I found is 0.010" Any advise about proceeding from here will be greatly appreciated. I am having difficulty locating parts in stock. The adapter from Ford can be here Tuesday. Summit has a flexplate I may go pick up today.
Howdy, one time I bought a f150 and somebody put a single core(cheapo chinese) Radiator in it and when it was driven 10 or 20 miles it would blow all the trans fluid out the top vent hole.......Also I always change thermostads......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts