Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New here as a poster, but been reading the forums for awhile.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this noise?

Been running like a charm for as long as I've had it (about a year), until I started her up last Friday, only to be greated by these awful sounds... Didn't notice anything abnormal until id been driving for about 5 miles, when the noise started, albeit very faint. Mowed one lawn, got back in and fired er up, and the noises were louder, and became increasingly more intense on my drive back home. Isn't as loud, and seems more rthymic rather than sporadic, when I'm accelerating, but is still present.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your response!

Flex Plate was one of my theories after reading a bunch online. If that is the case, does that mean that damage has also been done to my transmission? And what would cause the flex Plate to crack? Regular wear, or is that a symptom of something else?

The serpentine belt was just replaced about a month ago, so I don't think that would be an issue.

Disclaimer: I am very new to diesel ownership, and my knowledge of gas vehicles was very limited to start with. I definitely appreciate any and all input.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ended up taking it into my preferred auto shop, as I do not have the adequate time to troubleshoot, with mowing season now in full swing. I will definitely post on here with what they find out, so as to help out anyone in the future who might have the same problem.

Thanks again for your response.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I ended up taking it into my preferred auto shop, as I do not have the adequate time to troubleshoot, with mowing season now in full swing. I will definitely post on here with what they find out, so as to help out anyone in the future who might have the same problem.

Thanks again for your response.
There's a service bulletin out about the cracked flex plate. TSB number is 99-23-6 which specifies the parts to replace. I know you said you had it at a shop for repair - be SURE they follow the service bulletin! I've attached it to this post.

I'd get all the parts from the Ford dealer.

The cause is the thick horseshoe adapter between the transmission and the block. There was a run of them on the early 99 builds where the thickness was not uniform causing the transmission to be misaligned with the block. This causes the flex plate to flex every rotation which weakens it around the crank bolts.

On mine, I measured the thickness of the adapter and found it off by as much as 12-13 thousands.

Another cause is where someone installs an engine from a manual vehicle into an automatic vehicle. The two alignment pins on a manual only stick out less than 1/2" whereas the auto ones are over 2" so they will go all the way thru the adapter and into the transmission. The manual vehicles have an adapter plate that is only about 0.040" thick.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts