Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

101 - 120 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
I'm sure Sbluke will verify, but I'm seeing steering shaft and master cylinder above, going to cautiously speculate driver side.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
I'll second Blue... Drive side under the truck looking up at the exhaust manifold. That is the steering shaft.

Cj
Thanks, guys, my bad. I thought I was seeing the transmission housing edge. I shall bite the bullet and install mine!

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Carpet is about done -- a few small pieces to trim, yet.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Does anyone know of any way to purge / bleed the power steering without starting the truck?

I don't want to idle it a half-hour while I bleed the system. :(

·
Registered
102 Posts
Does anyone know of any way to purge / bleed the power steering without starting the truck?

I don't want to idle it a half-hour while I bleed the system. :(
Jax, I jump the starter relay so the engine cranks but does not start. Keeps the power steering pump from spinning too fast before it is primed

·
Registered
102 Posts
Can you pull the belt off and run the pump pulley by hand for a bit to get the thing primed?

Cj
Maybe a drill with a belt adapter or something. I don't think it is likely that a person can spin a vane type pump fast enough by hand to get it to prime the system, let alone flush the lines and gear box.

I helped a friend of mine build a 22RE for an old Toyota 4runner and she replaced the PS pump during the build. The FSM for the Toyota required disconnecting the ignition and cranking the engine to prime. I know there is a big difference in platforms, but most PS pumps are of similar design/type. I'll have to see what the Ford FSM says about it. I do know from experience on one of my old Ford Rangers, priming a PS pump with the engine running will kill it almost immediately. They are very susceptible to dry start damage. The pumps are a terrible design anyways.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Mech,

That is good idea. My thought was more geared to the priming the pump itself. Do that by hand and once there is oil in the pump then kick the engine over or use a drill and a belt.

Cj

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Truck bed repair. This truck once had a gooseneck in the bed, and now has a hole.

What is the best repair?

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #113

·
Administrator
8,170 Posts
or you can slap a piece over the hole and use a bed liner to hide it.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
My fix would be to put a gooseneck hitch in, and use the hole..... I really like the turn over ball hitches, just never have bought one.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
Jack the front end off the ground, fill the power steering pump . Turn the steering wheel while mashing the brakes . Air will bubble out the power steering reservoir.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why mash the brakes?

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
Next topic - what is the effect of these ultra-low-sulfur fuels on the older trucks like the '99?

Do you guys do anything make the fuel better? I do have PRI-D for the fuel.

101 - 120 of 166 Posts