Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

81 - 100 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
I think I will run an oil analysis (~$28) for a while and see how long it reports and how long to change oil. That's liquid gold I'm pouring in those reservoirs.

·
Administrator
8,176 Posts
Here is how to flush the power steering.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #83

·
aggiediesel01
17 Posts
I need to know how to purge my power steering unit. Damn thing was left "open" and there is dirt in it.

Anyone know how it is done? Nothing on it in the manual.
I would separate the reservoir from the pump body and flush it that way with a light solvent like kerosene or diesel and then P/S fluid. Then get a new oring seal for the reservoir and pop it back on. You mentioned the top was left off in the back of the truck but it’s unlikely that the pump was turned much in this condition enough to suck dirt into the pump so just cleaning the reservoir should be sufficient.

·
aggiediesel01
17 Posts
Is there any particular oil filter that people like?

I am thinking of going cheap but SAE certified Walmart Super Tech diesel oil for the break-in.

Question - what IS the brake-in? It's 1k for a gas engine . . . same for diesel? 5 k? What do you guys recommend? And no, I haven't searched yet . . .
LF9691 is about the biggest filter you can get for these engines. With nearly 200k on my engine now using this filter I can still see through the oil at 7500 miles. It has a built in bypass section at the bottom of the filter that works great as far as I’m concerned. They’re about $30/filter but at 3x the oil interval I’ll keep doing it.

·
aggiediesel01
17 Posts
Can anyone recommend a source for body parts? Like all the plastic and rubber stuff the AZ sun has caused to crack and dry?
Surprisingly much is still available through ford and if you use the white bear lake ford parts place you’ll see that most of the parts are really pretty reasonable.

·
aggiediesel01
17 Posts
What . . . I have boatloads of the copper permatex that is supposed to be better than the black stuff.
Probably too late now but for future reference, in the presence of diesel and the oil we use, pretty much all aftermarket RTV breaks down sooner than the motorcraft TA-31 RTV it’s specifically designed for Diesel engine applications. International has a part number for it as well but I can’t remember it. As far as I’ve researched no one in the aftermarket makes a comparable product. Permatex probably makes it for the OEMs but they don’t package it for autozone. You can order it on eBay and amazon and have it the next day in most places. Here’s the motorcraft description:

A specially designed alkoxy-cure RTV Sealant for high temperature applications. Specifically recommended for use with the 7.3L power stroke, 6.0L and 6.4L diesel engine. Non-corrosive, high viscosity material which starts to cure in minutes.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Probably too late now but for future reference, in the presence of diesel and the oil we use, pretty much all aftermarket RTV breaks down sooner than the motorcraft TA-31 RTV it’s specifically designed for Diesel engine applications. International has a part number for it as well but I can’t remember it. As far as I’ve researched no one in the aftermarket makes a comparable product. Permatex probably makes it for the OEMs but they don’t package it for autozone. You can order it on eBay and amazon and have it the next day in most places. Here’s the motorcraft description:

A specially designed alkoxy-cure RTV Sealant for high temperature applications. Specifically recommended for use with the 7.3L power stroke, 6.0L and 6.4L diesel engine. Non-corrosive, high viscosity material which starts to cure in minutes.
This?

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #89

·
aggiediesel01
17 Posts
To the amazon link, thats the stuff. If used and stored judiciously one tube is more than enough for a complete engine build.

Diesel orings is a great site started in this and other forums. I frequent them as often as I need the things they offer. The “behind the site” diagnostics info they put together is second to none. It’s good reading for any occasion.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Starting on the ugly mess . . . As I suspected, the black areas were oil stains and they rotted the carpet.

In the meantime, the carpet is out and I have a lot of mopping to do.

·
Administrator
8,176 Posts
Looking up from the bottom. My egt probe location.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
All cleaned up and no where to go!

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Who was asking if the carpet was tall enough for the manual xmsn tunnel?

I think so.

·
PSN intsigator
6,382 Posts
Pretty fancy pee cup on the new carpet

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Pretty fancy pee cup on the new carpet
:ROFLMAO:

BTW, this carpet comes with NO - Zero - Zilch holes in it. I followed their install video. I cut small holes for the seat studs in the middle. I adjusted a bit from there. It is a pain in the arse to cut but if you go slow and steady, it looks PD good . . . .

You really have to put a lot of pressure on it to have it go in place. I have cut only a little, because I am waiting on my Noico sound dampening mat for the places that do not have the "jute" padding.

·
Administrator
8,176 Posts
Awesome. Glad it fit. I’ll keep them in mind.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
All I can say is that I am paying for (in sore hands and fingers) deciding to put in the new carpet. Holee workout!

This class I am attending next week is going to be a nice break.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
81 - 100 of 144 Posts