Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

61 - 80 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
If you ever need any pics. Let me know. I pretty much have the same truck.
Thank you so much!!! I have so much I don't know and don't show up in the manuals' drawings.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
What might one use to "purge" the power steering reservoir? Mine had been sitting in the bed of the truck and it seems to have dirt in it.

I used Kooler Kleen on my transmission cooler and lines and OMG what a nasty black mess..

OH! How does one get xmsn fluid into the xmsn? I have no room for a funnel in the side hole.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Uh, yea . . . . no. I bought a pump.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Is there such a thing as a magnetic drain plug for this beast's transmission?

·
PSN intsigator
6,413 Posts
I'm sure there is most are 1/2" or 3/4" pipe thread, don't remember which

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
I am going to put some fluid in my transmission!

·
PSN intsigator
6,413 Posts
Good luck. I normally use a pump powered by my cordless drill to pump oils. I find them in the plumbing aisle at Lowe's for around 10 bucks.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
I used a hand pump. Dang it, that thing is thirsty! I need to get one more quart . . .

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
I need to know how to purge my power steering unit. Damn thing was left "open" and there is dirt in it.

Anyone know how it is done? Nothing on it in the manual.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #71 (Edited)
I used a hand pump. Dang it, that thing is thirsty! I need to get one more quart . . .
WTF? I have already put six quarts in the transmission . . . . How can the capacity be 3.4qts? And the fluid is about 1/8th inch below the fill hole!

From the diesel supplement owner manual.

Sorry -- all my life, you filled up to the level of the fill hole. I guess I need to pull some out. How the hell do you check your fluid level without draining it and adding new???

From the 1999 Ford F 250/350/450/550 Workshop manual

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
This is driving me nuts! Also the owners' manual:

·
Administrator
8,178 Posts
Capacity for the trans 6 quarts. I put 7 and fill it through the shifter. To check if it's full you pull the fill plug and if it dribbles out, it's full.

Your going to want get the motor running and do a power steering flush and add a filter. I'll find the write up for it.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Capacity for the trans 6 quarts. I put 7 and fill it through the shifter. To check if it's full, you pull the fill plug and if it dribbles out, it's full.
Y'know, experience told me this ^^ but then the ^%&T(*&%^$ manual . . . . ARGH!

You're going to want get the motor running and do a power steering flush and add a filter. I'll find the write up for it.
Thank you so much!!! I have to tell you, some of this yechy stuff is making my skin crawl! I cannot believe how poorly this machine has been treated. But, she is being carefully cleaned and lubed all the way through.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
I'm buying extra quarts so I can purge the transmission cooler, too. I already put the kleener Kooler through it.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Is there any particular oil filter that people like?

I am thinking of going cheap but SAE certified Walmart Super Tech diesel oil for the break-in.

Question - what IS the brake-in? It's 1k for a gas engine . . . same for diesel? 5 k? What do you guys recommend? And no, I haven't searched yet . . .

·
PSN intsigator
6,413 Posts
My 2020 KW was 10,000 miles which I thought was way to long. I would check it every 500 miles and change it at 3000, 6000, and 10000 miles and then every 5000 there after.

That's just me though

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
These days, they break in the new engines on the dyno for you, so I wouldn't be worried about going 10K.

My engine, however, is not built like today's engines are . .. .

Does anyone use an oil analysis service?

·
PSN intsigator
6,413 Posts
I do on my equipment but not on my trucks

·
PSN intsigator
6,413 Posts
I wasn't worried, just felt it is too long of a service interval

61 - 80 of 166 Posts